Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    csak Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2007, 04:07 PM
    Ex moved out does he have to pay?
    My ex moved out of our apartment we got together in dec. about 2 months ago... he gave no warning and led me to believe the whole time he was gone he would be coming back, he needed time to 'clear his head'
    About 2 weeks ago my mother saw him out on a date with another girl and so that's that. We're 100% done. He did contribute a few hundred dollars to 'cover' rent and the cell phone line that I got for him that he ran up in my name that I continue to have to pay because there's a $250 fee that I can't afford to take his second line off my account... but my question is this; Does he have any legal obligation to have to pay half the rent for the remainder of the lease? His and my names are both on it. I am struggling to get by here, I wouldn't have moved in if I had any clue that he would sneek out that morning before work and never come back. I live in MA in case there's any experts out there and know this states laws. I plan on going to the courthouse and finding out what I can do about this. I would have gone already but he has been promising to pay me the money till the lease ran out, I stupidly gave him a million chances but he hasn't come through since he got caught with the girl. Do I get my landlord involved? I prefer not to, but I will do what I have to do.
    If anyone has any information or even has been through this before please let me know.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

May 11, 2007, 04:54 PM
    Yes, he still has to pay. First go to your landlord and see if he will let you out of your lease so you can find a place to live that you can afford on your own. If the landlord doesn't agree then you may have to find a roommate to share the rent or find someone to sublet or take over your lease.

Next, file a lawsuit in small claims court against your ex for the amount of rent, utilities and cell phone bills that you paid that were his share.
    quaint11 Posts: 55, Reputation: 6

May 11, 2007, 05:49 PM
    Great Advice, LisaB.

Here are a few websites on Small Claims Court. Laws vary state to state.

Massachusetts Small Claims Court Information
    Abbreviated Guide to Small Claims
    Your Rights in Small Claims Court

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Doctor bill. Pay or not pay [ 5 Answers ]

I was working through workers comp claim. I was sent by my Dr to a Dr to treat me for depression. After I received a bill from the Psychologist telling me that my insurance was not paying for the bill and that it was my responsibility to pay her, I then stopped seeing her. Now I am being taken to...

Ex moved to GA from NY, doesn'y pay support [ 1 Answers ]

My exhusband moved from our home state NY to GA, and owes back child support for the 3 kids of almost $70,000. What can I do to recoup this oney, at least make him pay support? He works under the table, installing carpet, and if he comes to NY he will be arrested on a warrant for not paying...

I moved out of my rental, and I still continued to pay rent. [ 1 Answers ]

When my husband and I moved out of our rental, we were still in contract for another 6 months. We did the right thing, gave a "move out notice" and advised that we would still pay for the remainder of the 6 months which we were responsible for. They required us to keep all of the utilities on in...

Ex has moved on... almost? [ 11 Answers ]

Here's the long story short.. after being together for almost 2 years my boyfriend broke up with me 4 months ago at the beginning of junior year of high school saying he doesn't want to be in a relationship right now and needs a break. Now I realize we're still young and there's other people out...

Help roommate moved out and refuses to pay rent [ 8 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I are on a lease with someone in NC. The rent is $800. My boyfriend actually pays rent somewhere else but basically lives with me. Before the "someone" moved in I informed them that my boyfriend basically lives with me. She said okay and agreed to paying half the rent. She...

View more questions Search