Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wandac Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 10, 2007, 06:34 PM
    Construction - Rafter Damage
    Roofing repairs: A couple of the rafters have cracked. An inspector said the house was constructed with wood shingles and when the roof was changed to composition the rafter would not support the roof causing the cracks. How is this fixed and what is a ball park number for the repairs. I live in Dallas.
    Kstar4u Posts: 255, Reputation: 22

May 11, 2007, 05:26 PM
    I don't know what the building code requirements are in your area but if the new roofing material is too heavy for your roof trusses you may need to make some significant modifications. For the "short-term" you might think about "scabbing" (attaching a new piece of dimensional lumber to the existing rafter/truss along the same axis beginning before the crack and ending after the crack) the damaged/cracked wood. If you don't address the added load on the existing roof trusses, you will end up with a sagging ridgeline and all sorts of problems. But... it may be something as simple as a few weak truss members.
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

May 19, 2007, 09:45 AM
    I don't think you have trusses, if you did theyd already have supports, id assume this was a stick built house. Like he said above scabing on both sides of the rafter with osb and most likely a 4' piece on both sides would be enough, you'd need to use nails and not screws 12ds hand drive not nail gun nails.
    As far as other rafters go there needs to be some cross support to some load barring walls.
    Hope this helps. nichols trim and carpentry

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to repair a rotted roof rafter? [ 3 Answers ]

Can a damaged roof rafter be replaced without removing roof decking and shingles?

New construction [ 1 Answers ]

We are building a new townhouse in Virginia. Would you recommend copper or pvc piping throughout the home and why. Thank you...

Rafter square [ 1 Answers ]

I want to build an addition on my home and don't know how to use a rafter square to cut the rafters. This is a project I really want to do on my own but lack the expertise in figuring the cuts on a rafter. If someone has a simple but accurate way of using the square, I'd REALLY appreciate hearing...

Construction [ 1 Answers ]

How much does it cost to build a parliament in a developing country?

View more questions Search