Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    frustratedcivic Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 10, 2007, 10:28 AM
    Problems with my civic
    Approximately 1 month ago, the check engine light came on and the RPMs dropped to 2K and the car would not go above 30 miles an hour. I immediately pulled over and called my husband and the car stalled. After 5-10 minutes, I was able to restart the car, the check engine light was still on, but it was running fine. I drove directly to an autoshop to have the battery and alternator checked. The young man pulled the battery out of the car to test it and said it was giving no charge. So I changed the battery, however by pulling it out of the car I am sure the sensors were reset and of course the check engine light went off. The car drove fine for 2+ weeks, but I was still leery. Last week I had the timing belt, water pump and alternator belt replaced because there are 133,000 miles on the car. Yesterday, the same thing happened. I was on the interstate going approx. 70 mph and the check engine light came on and the RPM dropped b/w 2-2.5 K and I was unable to get the car above 20 mph. I took it to the mechanic approx. 15 minutes prior to them closing last night and they said they would look at it today, but upon cranking it this morning, the check engine light was off and they could not duplicate the problem with driving the car and raising the RPM over 5K. ANY SUGGESTIONS?
    hellcarrier67 Posts: 22, Reputation: 2

May 10, 2007, 10:53 AM
    What's the year and model
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

May 10, 2007, 12:14 PM
    1. Check for codes.
    2. Test/replace Ignition Control Module (igniter) and coil. I suspect the igniter is breaking down under load (heat), especially at high speed. I recommend replacing these components every 120,000 miles or 10 years, whichever comes first. They are problematic components on Hondas, along with main relays.
    rainbo55 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 10, 2007, 06:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by frustratedcivic
    Approximately 1 month ago, the check engine light came on and the RPMs dropped to 2K and the car would not go above 30 miles an hour. I immediately pulled over and called my husband and the car stalled. After 5-10 minutes, I was able to restart the car, the check engine light was still on, but it was running fine. I drove directly to an autoshop to have the battery and alternator checked. The young man pulled the battery out of the car to test it and said it was giving no charge. So I changed the battery, however by pulling it out of the car I am sure the sensors were reset and of course the check engine light went off. The car drove fine for 2+ weeks, but I was still leery. Last week I had the timing belt, water pump and alternator belt replaced b/c there are 133,000 miles on the car. Yesterday, the same thing happened. I was on the interstate going approx. 70 mph and the check engine light came on and the RPM dropped b/w 2-2.5 K and I was unable to get the car above 20 mph. I took it to the mechanic approx. 15 minutes prior to them closing last night and they said they would look at it today, but upon cranking it this morning, the check engine light was off and they could not duplicate the problem with driving the car and raising the RPM over 5K. ANY SUGGESTIONS?
    Have you had the egr valve cleaned or maybe the catalytic converter might be plug?
    brandy681 Posts: 295, Reputation: 26

May 10, 2007, 10:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by frustratedcivic
    Approximately 1 month ago, the check engine light came on and the RPMs dropped to 2K and the car would not go above 30 miles an hour. I immediately pulled over and called my husband and the car stalled. After 5-10 minutes, I was able to restart the car, the check engine light was still on, but it was running fine. I drove directly to an autoshop to have the battery and alternator checked. The young man pulled the battery out of the car to test it and said it was giving no charge. So I changed the battery, however by pulling it out of the car I am sure the sensors were reset and of course the check engine light went off. The car drove fine for 2+ weeks, but I was still leery. Last week I had the timing belt, water pump and alternator belt replaced b/c there are 133,000 miles on the car. Yesterday, the same thing happened. I was on the interstate going approx. 70 mph and the check engine light came on and the RPM dropped b/w 2-2.5 K and I was unable to get the car above 20 mph. I took it to the mechanic approx. 15 minutes prior to them closing last night and they said they would look at it today, but upon cranking it this morning, the check engine light was off and they could not duplicate the problem with driving the car and raising the RPM over 5K. ANY SUGGESTIONS?
    I definitely think this is the transmission. I have had a lot of cars and this has happened on every one of them. It can happen "stall out" once in a blue moon or the transmission can drive bad all of the time but either way it sounds like the transimission. Try changing the transmission fluid and you can also try a trans additive to help against stalling and this will help a lot. If this does not help you are looking at a new transmission. I may be wrong about this but I do believe that is what it is..

This can also be fuel related or do to a clogged catalytic converter, bad o2 sensors, map sensor or modulator valve. You can also try buying a fuel injector cleaner and put it in the gas tank because it may be clogged also. Also try changing the fuel filter if it has been a while. This problem is one that usually don't happen a lot and is hard to diagnose because it doesn't happen a lot. Again most likely it is a slow failing transmission and can last a year or two and eventually go out.
    badpenny Posts: 73, Reputation: 3

May 12, 2007, 10:19 AM
    I agree with Txgreasemonkey, but in addition, I would like to add, due to not knowing the year of the car, I am going to say, You need to have the Throttle Position sensor checked and have a test performed on the MAP (manifold absolute Pressure) sensor (there is a step by step procedure in the factory service manual) which may just mean that you need to take it to a Certified Honda/acura mechanic.

May 14, 2007, 09:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hellcarrier67
    whats the year and model

2001 Honda Civic LX

May 14, 2007, 09:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by txgreasemonkey
    1. Check for codes.
    2. Test/replace Ignition Control Module (igniter) and coil. I suspect the igniter is breaking down under load (heat), especially at high speed. I recommend replacing these components every 120,000 miles or 10 years, whichever comes first. They are problematic components on Hondas, along with main relays.

Thanks for the suggestion... looking into this.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

May 14, 2007, 10:39 AM
    Before doing anything else, I would replace the fuel filter. It may be that it's so clogged that it's affecting performance.

Now, I see that you have a 2001 Civic LX. It has a distributorless ignition system (DIS), not a separate Ignition Control Module and coil. If replacing the fuel filter doesn't solve the problem, I suspect you have a problem with the DIS or the ECM. It's best to have Honda check things out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

91 civic starting problems [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, my 91 civic hatchback dx suddenly quit while driving--as if it ran out of fuel, and I couldn't get her going again. The usual dash lights work when key turned to position 2 and the fuel pump primes for 2 seconds. The check engine light does not come on. The starter turns the motor over...

94 civic electrical problems [ 3 Answers ]

My dash is not working, odometer,speedometer speed,fuel,turning signals,and temperature gauge are all out. Before it went out speedometer use to go bezerk while driving like 30-120-40-0-70 etc. could this be a fuse or electrical wiring gone bad. I have a 94 civic dx cpe with about 213 thousand...

'92 Honda Civic problems [ 27 Answers ]

Hello to everyone! I feel very lucky to find this excellent forum! First of all I would like to apologize for my poor English which is not my mother language. I've read the FAQs and stickies, but I would appreciate if you could make some things clearer to me, since I have problems...

Moisture problems on Civic 92 [ 1 Answers ]

I Have a 92 Civic running excellent in dry weather however on wet (rainning) it will not start. Fuel pump OK, Sparks OK. Ideas ? Thks

Civic problems [ 6 Answers ]

I offered to help a friend fix his '97 honda civic and after an afternoon of looking at it, I'm no closer to a solution than I was before. I've never worked on a honda before but was hoping someone could give me a little help. Problem --> engine sounds fine unless the car is moving and your foot...

View more questions Search