Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    igomez Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 10, 2007, 07:56 AM
    I work in NJ but live in NY, how much taxes will I pay?
    I currently work in NJ, but I live in NY... Will I have to pay both state taxez and if so how much? I am married with no children and I make 27,000. I'm also having trouble filling out my W4 form (or is it W2? ). Should I choose "married, but withhold higher rate..." or should I just choose married, which one will provide me more money?

Thank You.
    AW805 Posts: 283, Reputation: 43

May 10, 2007, 09:44 AM
    You'll have to file in both states, however, file Non Resident Income Tax form in NJ. You'll probably owe $ to NY but should get a refund from NJ.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

May 10, 2007, 10:09 AM
    I would suggest filling out the W4 for NJ as "married," and not withhold at a higher rate. As for how much you will owe: NJ will tax you on the money you earn in NJ. If your taxable income is $27K/year from your NJ job that will be about $400/year. Then NY will tax you on your full income, but give you a credit for the amount of state tax paid to NJ. NY's tax rate is higher than NJ's, so you will probably end up owing NY some additional amount - NY's tax on $27K taxable income is about $1180; subtracting the $400 credit for taxes paid to NJ means you'll owe NY about $780. Of course your actual amount will vary, depending on things like exemptions and credits or other sources of income, but this should give you the general idea.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 10, 2007, 01:18 PM
    Ebaines covers it all; nothing to add.
    igomez Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2007, 06:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by igomez
    I currently work in NJ, but I live in NY... Will I have to pay both state taxez and if so how much? I am married with no children and I make 27,000. I'm also having trouble filling out my W4 form (or is it W2??). Should i choose "married, but withhold higher rate..." or should i just choose married, which one will provide me more money?

Thank You.
    I think it would it be better if I just moved to NJ! Thanks for the advice everyone! I'll surely take it into consideration.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 11, 2007, 08:03 AM
    Glad to help, but moving MAY be a bit extreme. The tax filing is not really that complex.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Appropriate pay for live-in housekeeper [ 6 Answers ]

I have a live-in housekeeper and have 3 children who are 16,13 and 10. Her main responsibilities have to deal with housekeeping although she's available frequently if I need her to hang with 1,2 and/or 3 of the kids. What would you think is the appropriate salary for someone of this profession?...

Live in NJ but pay NY state taxes? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I live in NJ but I work in New York. I took a look at my pay stub and I'm paying Federal and NY state taxes but I am not paying NJ state taxes. Is this correct? I'm concerned that next year I will have to file a NJ state tax return and will not be credited for paying the NY state taxes...

Live in Pa and Work in New York (taxes) [ 1 Answers ]

I moved to Pa three years ago and still currently work at the same company in New York State. This company for the last three years has been taking Pa taxes out of my paystub every week. It is labeled "PA W/H." I assumed that I need to only do Pa taxes when I do my state taxes. There is not a...

Wife works and live in nj, I live and work in ny [ 1 Answers ]

Due to my job in nyc, I have to maintain a residence nyc. I rent not own a house in nyc. My wife lives in a house with our kids in nj and also works there. How do we file for taxes.:confused:

Employer in VA. Work in MA. Live in NH. Whom I should pay taxes. [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I work as a contractor in MA on behalf of my employer who is based in VA. I live in NH. I receive pay check from VA based company for the work performed at their client's office in MA. I live in NH. To which state(s) I should pay taxes to?

View more questions Search