Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Parajr Posts: 149, Reputation: 21

May 6, 2007, 09:05 PM
    Grass won't grow
    I have a spot in my yard where the grass simply won't grow. It is in the shade, and the dirt is actually like clay. I have spread some seeds, and placed down top soil, but it still won't grow.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 6, 2007, 11:00 PM
    How much topsoil did you add? Depending on the type of grass seed that you spread, you may need 6 to 8 inches of good soil, not clay, for the root system to develop.

Also, I hope that the type of seed that you spread was shade tolerant.

From Turfgrass in Shaded Areas It would be worth your time to check out the site.

Since shade is a poor environment for turfgrass, it is essential to develop a good management program in shady places. First, select shade tolerant grasses. The fine-leaf fescues are considered the most shade tolerant of the cool-season grasses. Creeping red fescue, Chewing's fescue, sheep fescue and hard fescue all have shown promise in heavily shaded areas. Some varieties of Kentucky bluegrass and fine-bladed turf-type tall fescue have performed well in moderate shade.

Sow seed in shaded areas in the fall. Fall seedings generally are more successful than spring seedings because they go into the first summer more mature with a better root system and more stored food reserves. Frequent, fall, leaf raking is essential to establishment of grasses in shaded areas. Leaves left on the lawn shade the young seedlings and slow their development.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

May 7, 2007, 04:15 AM
    I noticed you are in Florida. '' The fine-leaf fescues are considered the most shade tolerant of the cool-season grasses.'' Perhaps you need to check on something more suited to your climate. I haven't had that much luck with the fescues in the shade. I am trying some perennial rye this year, but I am not sure how it does in a warmer climate. Perhaps talk to a local lawn and garden store. Don't count on the advice from the big home centers.

You do need to soften up that clay. Try working some peat, gypsum, perlite, etc. into it. It is important to loosen the soil up before sowing the seed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

GROW hair DamN IT! Grow! [ 15 Answers ]

My hair length is about 1 inch long, I cut it about 2 years ago and continued to about every month, now I haven't cut or dyed my hair in about 2 months and it has not grown at all. I want it to grow!! What can I do, use, or whatever to get this growth process started!thanks

How do you get these to grow in? [ 4 Answers ]

My teeth haven't grown in and its been about 5 months since I lost them. I am 15, and I was supposed to lose these when I was 11. I am freaking out! Is there any possible way that I can like make them grow in? I have never had this problem before.

How to grow and green my grass [ 1 Answers ]

I am a new homeowner and for the first time I have to take care of my own lawn. I live in IL and had my house built in a new development area. Sod is in the front but the sides and back was a seed blanket. I have noticed that even the sod is not as pretty as it was at first and not much grass grew...

Will I grow more? [ 3 Answers ]

I play baseball and have been for 12 years. Im 16 years old. My dad is 5'10 or 5'11 And My mom is 5'3". I am currently 5'9 and would like to know if I can grow anymore. I want to be at least 5'10" and My moms side of the family is somewhat short, but I have no clue about my Dads' because he was...

Need to grow grass in clay [ 2 Answers ]

My new yard seems to be all clay, water just runs off, some areas are flat areas and some a little hilly, so it washes everything off in rain, should I rototill and add something? And what is the best grass to grow?

View more questions Search