Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nervous Posts: 47, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2005, 04:22 PM
    PVC to Cast Iron Drain Mating
    What is the best way to mate a new 2" PVC drain into an existing 3" cast iron bell that is part of the 4"` cast iron vent stack. The previous arrangement was 2" galvanised into the bell, sealed with oakum and lead. I looked at the Fernco thick rubber gaskets but the cast iron bell seems a bit out of round so I am unsure of how effective a seal I can get taking that route.

Thanks.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 11, 2005, 11:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by nervous
    What is the best way to mate a new 2" PVC drain into an existing 3" cast iron bell that is part of the 4"` cast iron vent stack. The previous arrangement was 2" galvanised into the bell, sealed with oakum and lead. I looked at the Fernco thick r Use plentu of bber gaskets but the cast iron bell seems a bit out of round so I am unsure of how effective a seal I can get taking that route.

Thanks.
    Even if the bell's out of round, which I doubt because the hub is cast iron and will crack before it bends, the Fernco Gasket will conform. You may have to bevel the end of the PVC and perhaps shave a bit off the inside front of the gasket to get it started. Use plenty of grease on both the gasket and the PVC pipe. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Join pvc drain into middle of existing cast iron [ 3 Answers ]

Hello everyone. I am planning to move the sink in my bathroom. I've already figure out (it's pretty easy) where to put the copper pipes with hot cold water. Right now I am trying to figure out the best way to do the dranage. There's a cast iron pipe about 4' in diameter, that runs from...

Cast iron drain connection [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, we have a house built in the ealy 50's. We've torn out a small tiled shower and want to replace with a new one that doesn't leak. We have a 2" cast iron drain pipe sticking 1 1/2 inches above the house slab. What is the best way to connect a new two piece drain before we build or install new...

Installing a PVC shower drain to cast iron [ 5 Answers ]

Hi - I was wondering if you could tell me what type of adhesive I would need to attach my PVC drain to the cast iron pipe, below the shower. I have no plumbing experience and am trying to do this myself to save some $. Thanks! :) OJ Bean

Cast iron or PVC waste/drain pipes? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi everyone. I'm in the middle of a major remodel to my 1947 home, including adding a second story. We're trying to do everything top-notch, which leads me to the experts here. Here's my question: For the waste/drain pipes, I know we want to use cast iron in the drops between the floors (for...

Converting cast iron floor drain to shower drain [ 3 Answers ]

I am adding a bathroom to my basement, which has partial (complete? ) plumbing already roughed into the floor (in 1976). Sewage lift station (vented) is 3 ft from 4" styrofoam plug (toilet), 4 ft from 1 1/2 inch cast male pipe end extending through floor (lav, have already added vertical vent...

View more questions Search