Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DavidFallows Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 5, 2007, 03:09 PM
    Tiling in Kitchen
    Just wondering about tiling a new black splash in an older kitchen do I need to remove the drywall and install wonderboard onto the studs? Or can I go over top of drywall with wonderboard? Or just tile directly onto the drywall?

Want to use 1/4 inch wonderboard if going over top and if I have to remove drywall will use 1/2 unless 1/4 is good enough

Thanks a lot for the help in advance.
    David
    jamlove Posts: 78, Reputation: 2

May 11, 2007, 02:16 PM
    I tiled the backsplash and cooking area of my kitchen walls with ceramic tiles. On the largest area, about 3 feet wide and 2 feet tall, I did cut out the drywall and install backer board of the same thickness. This was to give that large area of tile something to stick onto.

On smaller areas, I didn't bother removing the drywall. It was not painted, and I gave it a light sanding to rough up the paper a little.

The key part was I used acryllic-modified mortar mix, instead of normal water-mixed mortar. The acryllic ad-mix is supposed to be "stickier", adhering better to a surface like drywall.

I would not use 1/4" drywall if I were you... you need a solid, non-flexible backing so the tile doesn't crack if you bump into it. The tile and mortar will add some of their own stiffness but they need a decently solid backing.

If you're doing a small area, you'll probably be fine keeping the drywall. It may not be what a pro contractor would do, but mine is holding up fine and is very sturdy (I've bumped into it plenty of times with pots/pans).

Best of luck, j.
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

May 19, 2007, 09:49 AM
    As Long As Your Drywall Is Clean And Free Of Any High Gloss Paint Or Grease Your Fine To Apply The Tile Straight To The Drywall, And Id Use A Pre Mix Mastic To Set The Tile In.
    Hope That Helps , Nichols Trim And Carpentry
    DavidFallows Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 19, 2007, 08:58 PM
    Thanks for all the advice ill let you know how it turns out... will be a couple weeks before I tie into it but ill let you know..
    David

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tiling over plywood [ 2 Answers ]

:confused: Thank you for your answers;Clear-Mind-Web &Kstar4u, I can't seem to get my hands on the BC building code. But US code states 1" subfloor. A new problem has arisen about tiling over plywood... I forgot to mention this is also a heated floor which would create a lot more flex with the...

Tiling around an arch? [ 2 Answers ]

The wall between our kitchen and living room has a 34" wide x 28" high opening with an arch at the top. I would like to tile both the wall around the opening as well as the inside of the opening. How do I finish off where the tile edges come together around the arch? I can use bull nose tile on the...

Tiling over plywood [ 2 Answers ]

The bathroom floor to be tiled is 5/8" subfloor with 1/4" ply ontop screwed every 6 inches.Iam trying to convince carpenter that this does not meet code, nor is it a proper base for tiling. I want him to put down hardibacker (1/4") but he has convinced home-owners not necessary. What do I do?...

Tiling [ 1 Answers ]

I am remodeling my first bathroom. I am planing on tiling the shower/tub.. my question is the transition from tile to painted wall.. with the cement backer do I butt it up to drywall? What do I do about the seam? Mud and tape?

Tiling question [ 1 Answers ]

I am remodeling my first bathroom. I am planing on tiling the shower/tub.. my question is the transition from tile to painted wall.. with the cement backer do I butt it up to drywall? What do I do about the seam? I plan on tiling to the ceiling to avoid this problem there, but what about the sides?...

View more questions Search