Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mirandal Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 4, 2007, 05:51 PM
    Fl law on protection from a court judgment agaist your primary residence
    Hello,
    Someone is trying to garnish a small court judgment against my husband and myself. We aren't working right now. So we have no income at the moment.our house is on a living trust fund(we are the trusties, not the beneficiaries of the trust) and we live in fl. Is our house exempt under the homestead? One lawyer told us that the house is not protected unless you are the head of the household and you make less than $500 a week.is that true?
    Please help.
    Thanks
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 4, 2007, 06:47 PM
    Hello miranda:

I'm curious. If you don't have jobs, how would you know that a judgment creditor is trying to garnish wages?

Is this a lawyer you hired and paid for his advice, or is this just a casual kind of thing? If it's a lawyer you hired, I'd believe him. If it's something else, then you might as well believe me, and I ain't no lawyer.

The worse thing a small claims judgment would do is put a lien on your house, if it isn't exempt. That means, when you sell the house, you have to pay the lien. Big deal. You owe the money.

Of course, if you start working again, your wages will be subject to garnishment.

excon

PS> Somewhere waaay back in my brain, I have a memory that tells me Florida doesn't allow garnishment. I don't know. Maybe somebody will come along who has a better memory than me.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 4, 2007, 07:16 PM
    Generally a primary residence is exempt from attachment. Plus you really don't own the home, the trust does. But even if the house could be used, as excon said, all they can do it put a lien on it.

Jul 14, 2007, 04:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    Hello miranda:

I'm curious. If you don't have jobs, how would you know that a judgment creditor is trying to garnish wages?

Is this a lawyer you hired and paid for his advice, or is this just a casual kinda thing? If it's a lawyer you hired, I'd believe him. If it's something else, then you might as well believe me, and I ain't no lawyer.

The worse thing a small claims judgment would do is put a lien on your house, if it isn't exempt. That means, when you sell the house, you have to pay the lien. Big deal. You owe the money.

Of course, if you start working again, your wages will be subject to garnishment.

excon

PS> Somewhere waaay back in my brain, I have a memory that tells me Florida doesn't allow garnishment. I dunno. Maybe somebody will come along who has a better memory than me.
    They were trying to garnish my bank account, not my wages and the case was dismissed. And since this was a frivolous lawsuit against me I Do Not want to pay any lien. I think that in FL your primary residence is exempt from any liens. And your weekly pay for up to $500 is exempt. Can someone double check this for me
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Jul 15, 2007, 07:13 PM
    If the case was dismissed, then you should be off the hook and not subject to any garnishment, lien or any other attempts to collect from you.

Jul 16, 2007, 08:30 AM
    The writ of garnishment on my checking account was dissolved, not the whole case. Sorry, I didn't explained it properly. This is a foreign judgment from another state and was domesticated in FL. I had to be notified for the notice of the foreign judgment in FL, but I never received anything. I went to court and I saw that the registered mail with the notice of domestication was returned to the court not signed. I think if I had received the mail with the notice of domestication of the foreign judgment I had 30 days to fight it in court.
    My question is since I was never notified for the notice of the foreign judgment can I file a motion in court to quash the foreign judgment for not being properly served?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 16, 2007, 08:47 AM
    Certainly worth trying

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Minority Protection in Company Law [ 14 Answers ]

Hi, Can anyone give me some useful sites where I can find the topic MINORITY PROTECTION under Company Law? Thanks in anticipation.

Judgment made by court? [ 10 Answers ]

IN a civil case, if the plaintiff never attend the hearing, can the court grant judgment when no plaintiff is there? Would that judgment be consider void, since the court did not obtain jurisdiction to hear the case? Can a affidavit that is not notarized be considered valid as evidence before...

Length of time for primary residence [ 2 Answers ]

What is the length of time required by law that you need to be in a house (as your primary residence) before you can sell it?

View more questions Search