Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TECHBW Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2005, 12:29 AM
    Computer Switches Itself On
    I Am Having A Problem With A Pc

After Switching Off The Computer, It Automatically Boots Itself Up Again After A Period Of 10 Or So Minutes.

There Are No Messages That Are Displayed.

I Have Checked The Following:

Bios Settings For Wake On Lan, Pci, Modem And So On
    The Computers Power Settings In Control Pannel
    Check For Viruses... which I Don't Think Could Cause This

I Have Also Checked The Power Supply By Using It On Another Computer... no Problem With The Power Supply. And Even If I Replace On The Faulty System The Pc Still Switches Itself On After 10 Or Minutes

This Problem Is Really Irratating Me Could Anyone Help
    elina Posts: 136, Reputation: 1

Apr 15, 2005, 01:45 AM
    Problem might be with the motherboard
    Techgbw, hi, the problem sounds as if it might be the motherboard altogether. But to know for sure, it's better to do the basics before ruling it out. Now, have you flash updated the BIOS or installed the CD that came with the motherboard if you built your own PC? You can always download the latest BIOS and motherboard drivers from its manufacturer's website from another PC. Sometimes, those will work.

You can always check the motherboard using a POST PCI card that you insert in, and see what error number shows up on the LED, which you can then cross reference in the guide-diagnostic manual that came with the POST card. Microscope 2000 is a popular POST card or a card from STARTECH, for example.

If the problem seems to happen more frequently, the problem might be a bad HDD, faulty cables, memory cards,etc... If you know the problem is not the motherboard, then I would suggests checking each hardware parts one by one. Of course, you can take out each one at each step of the way, or re-install each device at a time to see what happens. If these suggestions still don't pinpoint the problem, the problem could have come from the motherboard getting zapped with some static electricity from all sorts of slight contacts. In that case, it may not be worth it to look into it any further and guess it's a faulty motherboard that got zapped somehow along the way.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lights and switches [ 1 Answers ]

About a month ago we went to replace the bulb in my sons closet and it wouldn't work.. so we never got aorund of calling a electrician yet.. thinking it might be the wires where you put in the bulbs... well the light bulb was out in my laundry room last night so I replaced it and went to cut it on...

Three way switches [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to wire three way switches with multiple light between them. I have 12/2 from the panel to the first switch then 12/3 through all the lights. At the last light I switched the common and neutral to supply power to the end switch. From the first switch I can control all lights (5...

3 way switches [ 2 Answers ]

I have a light on the ceiling and two switches each at opposite sides of the room to control the light. The switches have worked fine for 20 some years but now the one switch when off will not let the other switch turn the light on. I have replaced both switches but still have the same problem. Any...

Switches [ 1 Answers ]

I have a lite at the top of the stairs with one switch for it at the top. I want to and a secong switch at the bottom of the stairs. I believe the incoming power it at the switch (top of stairs) How do I add a second swich to control lite?

Question about Switches [ 13 Answers ]

Here are a few questions about switches I need answered. The network specifications are as followed: *100 workstations *4 printers *1 server *3 switches *Cable Internet connection *Workstations will mostly be used for word processing/internet browsing

View more questions Search