Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    moondancer Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 4, 2007, 10:29 AM
    20HP MTD won't start
    Two weeks ago, I replaced my battery and solenoid. I was happy. Mowed my two acres and stopped and started the engine numerous times without any problems. When I turned it off the last time, that is turned the key off, the engine didn't keep running per se, but made a whining noise. I tried the key a couple of times but it wouldn't stop. So I disconnected the negative wire and it stopped. When I would try to attach the wire to the terminal, the mower would start of it's own accord. So I just disconnected the wire. Yesterday, I reconnected the wire without any craziness going on but today when I went to start it, it cranked but wouldn't start. Then there was a hesitation on the engine to turn. And now my poor battery doesn't even want to go. :( I'm not sure if it is the battery or the engine just isn't cranking. Could it be the gas line? The engine? I need to be able to mow as I'm trying to sell my place and it looks so much better mowed than not! Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    skyman2112 Posts: 12, Reputation: 2

May 4, 2007, 06:59 PM
    Sounds like the key is bad but its just a guess!
    moondancer Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 4, 2007, 07:26 PM
    Thanks for your input! But I'm not sure what you mean when you say the key could be bad. Do you mean the starter or the actual key? Why would a key go bad? Curious.
    skyman2112 Posts: 12, Reputation: 2

May 6, 2007, 07:34 AM
    The key turns a switch inside the lock, sounds like its stuck open so just replace the whole unit. Good luck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mtd mower won't start [ 10 Answers ]

I just bought a used riding lawn mower. It had started fine each time I went to look at it. Looks like it was been treated well although quite dusty. I was told that it was used very little in the last few years. It is a MTD 16.5hp riding mower. So I brought it home today and mowed the front...

MTD Mower Won't start [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 42" MTD Lawn Tractor, I think it is a model 682. I try to start it and nothing, I just ran it last week and it was fine. Could the battery have died that quickly? What should I replace/check? Could the ignition switch have corroded and died? Is there a way to bypass it and check? I'm...

Briggs & Stratton 20hp won't start [ 2 Answers ]

I have an MTD Yardman with a 20hp B & S Intek V-Twin engine. The mower was running OK when last used but, after stopping for about 1/2 hour, wouldn't restart. I replaced the plugs and checked spark - both OK. Replaced fuel filter. Fuel flowing through filter and pump, and reaching carburettor....

16.5 Briggs in MTD will not start [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 16.5 ovh Briggs in an MTD. The mower started and ran fine the last few mowings. However, now it will not fire. The starter will turn the motor for a few seconds and then it will "bog" down. I can turn the motor by hand past the "hard" part of the engine cycle and the starter will turn the...

MTD 18 HP riding mower won't start [ 1 Answers ]

Have a 18 Hp MTD mower which won't start. Does not get gas, tank full, new gas filter, and new spark plugs. Has two kill switches on it.

View more questions Search