Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    intendedsighs Posts: 46, Reputation: 7

May 3, 2007, 04:43 PM
    Does anyone know?
    Hi, I'm 20 years old, and I've wanted a Samoyed puppy since I was 11 years old. I'm getting married in less than two months, so I probably won't be able to get one before then, because they can be fairly expensive, sadly. I was wondering if anyone knew of some female Samoyed puppies for sale... obviously I don't want to and really can't afford to pay an arm and a leg for one, especially since I may have a baby on the way, but I love these dogs and they're very friendly and very good with children, which is why I'd love to get one. Please let me know if you know of any! Thanks!
    Jessyfay Posts: 164, Reputation: 4

May 3, 2007, 05:13 PM
    I had a miniature samoyed pup growing up and they are great dogs! I would call around to your local animal shelters and ask to have your name on a waiting list for one. If you go to the spca website you can browse dogs that are for adoption in your area.
    Good Luck!

Another great site with a search engine for a specific dog breed is

Pet adoption, Dog adoption & Cat adoption from a Humane Society, Animal Shelter or SPCA.
    grammadidi Posts: 1,182, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

May 3, 2007, 05:17 PM
    Okay, here's the part that might upset you... I really don't think you are ready for a puppy of any kind. First of all, you have too many changing life events coming up. This brings a puppy into a stressful home. Yes, it may be good stress, but it's stress none the less. You plan on getting married in less than two months, you may have a baby on the way... isn't that enough for now??

First, get married and deal with that. I'm not being mean here, okay, but really, I hope you don't have a baby on the way. Ideally, marriages need time to level out before children should be introduced. Now, I am well aware that it doesn't always happen that way (my first one didn't) :D and that's fine - but to introduce a puppy, too?? Big mistake!

Now, the other issue is that you are concerned about expense. Dogs take a lot of money and time (like children do, only for fewer years). It's not just the cost of the puppy, but the vaccinations, health checks, licencing, crates, food, collars, leashes, neutering/spaying, grooming costs, potential illnesses and accidents, pet insurance, boarding costs if you go on vacation, obedience class, etc. I really feel that if you are concerned with the cost of the puppy then you can't afford a pet in your life right now. Get a little more settled. Put your new husband and baby first. Once everything all falls into place, the money is no longer an issue, the child doesn't require so much one on one time, then you can decide on a puppy.

Also, research the breeds a little more, know what is involved by having a dog, know what health issues each breed can present. Consider how long the dog is expected to live and wonder if your child will be able to deal with the death of a pet based upon the child's age at that time. There is so much more to having a pet than deciding upon a breed and getting one. There are so many dogs in shelters and rescues around this world because people didn't give it adequate thought. Ensure that you will NOT be contributing to those numbers.

Please don't take offence to what I say, for I do not intend to offend, but to educate.

Good luck with the wedding, and if you are having a baby I hope the baby is healthy. All I ask is that you give this all thought and a little more time.

Hugs, Didi
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

May 3, 2007, 06:03 PM
    Intendedsighs, Grammadidi has brought up some very good points. I know she is telling you this because she is a caring person. We are both older than you and have been around the block (probably one time too many :p). We have seen people do what you want to do and get so stressed out. This should be a wonderful and happy time in your life. You are getting married! A dog is A LOT of work. Jessyfay is right, Samoyeds are wonderful dogs. I love them too. The ones I have met were just the sweetest dogs. I have a good friend who adopted one from a shelter. But even Jessy will tell you how much time needs to be dedicated to training any dog. Frankly, it just doesn't sound like the timing is right in your life at the moment.

Here is some information you need to consider: Samoyeds are a working breed. They do need a lot of exercise. Because they are such a smart breed, they can be very resistant to training. So, you really need to find the time to dedicate yourself to training the puppy and exercising him/her. They have a reputation for being chewers and when left alone for too many hours, can be very destructive. They also have a tendency to bark a lot.

Since you are getting married and, if you are expecting a child, you will not have the time to dedicate to a puppy. If a puppy is not trained properly, you will wind up with a hard to control mature dog.

It really is a matter of timing honey. I think if you are pregnant, it is something you should consider when your baby is at least 5 years old. This breed is excellent with children but you want to make sure he/she doesn't knock over your child when it becomes an adult and you want to make sure that your child is old enough to understand not to hurt the puppy.

I hope you give some consideration to what both Didi and I are saying. Give yourself time to adjust to married life. Find out if you are pregnant. This kind of stuff can always wait. Hey, I grew up with dogs but because of my work and where I was living, I wasn't able to get one until I was in my forties! I wanted one very badly, but I knew that I didn't have the time to dedicate to one. When I finally was able to adjust my life so that I could spend the time necessary to train, that is when I finally adopted one. I went out of my way to adopt the dog that was right for me, and to find one that was scheduled to be euthanized. Even with the adjustment in my life, where I could focus on her and bring her with me wherever I go, I found myself getting exhausted and exasperated by her high energy. The training never ends. You always have to reinforce it to be able to have a happy, well balanced dog.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

May 3, 2007, 06:36 PM
    It is tough to say whether you should follow the wise advice above or follow your heart. If you do decide to follow your heart, I strongly suggest you don't get a puppy. One of the best sources for dogs with a predictable personality is the rescue
    Dogs. These are dogs that lost their home, but were taken into a foster home
    To be retrained as necessary and placed in the right home for them. You may
    Find a rescue near you starting at
    American Kennel Club - Breed Rescue dog dogs puppy puppies The rescues charge a fee to help cover their expenses, but is much less than the price of a puppy plus all its medical expenses the first year.

Why are you so specifically interested in a female? Neutering the males usually leaves them no more inclined to obnoxious behaviors than a spayed female. If you are thinking breeding dogs is a fun, easy way to cover the costs of dog ownership, quit smoking that stuff. Responsible breeding of quality dogs is a tough, time consuming, money loser. We already have far too many people breeding low quality dogs.
    grammadidi Posts: 1,182, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

May 3, 2007, 07:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by labman
    If you are thinking breeding dogs is a fun, easy way to cover the costs of dog ownership, quit smoking that stuff.
    :):):) Love it! Funny, but oh, so dead on!

Didi
    intendedsighs Posts: 46, Reputation: 7

May 4, 2007, 09:12 AM
    I guess I forgot to mention that I'm not planning on getting one this year, I just want to be able to find someone who DOES breed them, so that when they have puppies in the future, I may be able to buy one. The cost at that point won't be an issue. I've had puppies before folks. Not my family's puppies, but my own. My dog had a litter of her own when I was 13 and I looked after them until I found homes for the majority, but we kept the mother and one of her puppies. Right now, I have a golden retriever. He's not a puppy anymore, he's about 3 or 4, but we've had him since he was weaned, and I was the one who trained him and looked after him. I'm the only one in my family who's really trained any animals, and I've had the most pets, including, hamsters, rabbits (which I still have), cats, a gecko, and of course the dogs.

I KNOW I have a lot of things coming up right now. I'm not THAT stupid to want to bring a puppy into it as well. But I'm not going to wait until my children are over the age of 5, because then I'd be waiting until I was finished having children. That's stupid. It's all how to raise both child and pet to act around each other. If I plan on sitting my child on the floor to play with her/his blocks, I'm not going to let a puppy jump all over her/him. It's called, putting up a gate and keeping them separate. Just because I'm younger than you doesn't mean I don't know these things, but thanks for your opinions.

Oh and the reason I want a female is not so I can breed her. I'd get her spayed, but I'd much rather have the female so I don't have objects being played with by my naïve children. If you get my drift. I've seen it happen.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

May 4, 2007, 12:38 PM
    I don't think anyone was suggesting you were stupid Intendedsighs. The way you phrased your post, it appeared that you might be putting "the cart in front of the horse." I am very sorry you feel insulted by our input. That truly was not the intention.

I don't believe in breeding. So, I am sorry, I can't help you there. If money is a factor, as JessyFay stated, there are samoyeds that can be adopted from shelters. I would suggest, in addition to the site she supplied, taking a look at this website: Petfinder.com: Adopt a pet and help an animal shelter rescue a puppy or kitten.
    Jessyfay Posts: 164, Reputation: 4

May 4, 2007, 07:09 PM
    I got a puppy and if I knew now, what I know now I would have adopted an adult dog, that way you know what there character is like and that they are house train, good with kids... so on and on

I've got a male dog and I don't think you have to worry about children playing with his thingy, my dog goes to kindergarten sometimes with my daughter and thou the children ask and know that it is his "peepee" they much rather play with his ears. This shouldn't be a factor on reasoning out a male dog.

I'm 23 years old and sometimes hate hearing people's opinions, especially when they announce that their "older" and have more "wisdom" but it is true on some cases and is better to bite your tongue and take it than to put up the defence wall.

I hope you and your growing family do find your perfect dog, and keep in mind a puppy is just like having a baby, you'll be cleaning up there poo/pee too.

If only dogs were born like the dogs we see in movies/showrooms/superdogshows... etc...

But is takes a lot of time and effort and money to do it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

View more questions Search