Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Hussar Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

May 1, 2007, 07:48 AM
    I must be dumb about global warming and open circuits
    There I was, reading the newspaper, which was talking about how to save electricity and help stop global warming.

The National Society of Whatever said I should unplug my cell phone charger when the phone is not charging.

I'm like... what the heck?? If my cell phone is not plugged into the charger, how can it be drawing power?

Someone want to take a stab at this?

Thanks!
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

May 1, 2007, 07:52 AM
    Makes very little sense, I agree.
    BTA Posts: 15, Reputation: 2

May 1, 2007, 10:24 AM
    Most electronic devices these days have what's called "standby" mode. It is very likely that your cell phone charger, even when its not charging your phone, is drawing some power from the outlet it is plugged into. Your TV, VCR, DVD player, video game console and computer are also doing this.

Cell phone chargers contain lots of components for power conditioning including transformers, AC/DC converters (which is composed of solid state electronics in many cases) - the power draw is probably a very small amount, but over time it adds up...
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

May 1, 2007, 10:28 AM
    A lot of cell phone chargers have small transformers, they take the wall current and transform it into a lower voltage current the cell phone can use. This transformer is the piece that makes your charger get hot and continues emitting heat when plugged into the wall, even without the cell phone being connected.

The heat it emits is electricity being transformed into heat and is essentially wasted without the phone using the electricity... it can't be very much but its something.

May 1, 2007, 11:03 AM
    Okay, I can accept that now... but what is the technical hurdle that keeps the manufacturer from developing a charger that doesn't draw power when the phone is not connected?
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

May 1, 2007, 11:08 AM
    Physics.

An open circuit will always have power loses due to heat, it's unavoidable. In the future improved circuit designs may make these losses even smaller, perhaps so small they are inconsequantial but there will always be heat generated by electronics and the heat is wasted electrical current.

May 1, 2007, 11:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Hussar
    Okay, I can accept that now ... but what is the technical hurdle that keeps the manufacturer from developing a charger that doesn't draw power when the phone is not connected?
    The technical hurdle? Well, I suppose that would be the voltage of the battery and the nature of the electricity used in our households. Typical North American households are supplied with electricity at 120/240V alternating-current. Typical cell phone batteries are in the 3-4 volt range, direct-current.

So the hurdles are converting the power from AC to DC and from a high voltage to a lower one. This requires electrical components like transformers, capacitors, resistors, triacs, etc, all of which result in losses in the form of heat and/or signal chopping.

How to avoid this?

Well, I suppose if someone were able to make an AC battery (not possible) at 120V for cellphones then there would be no hurdle and we could just plug them directly into the wall with no power conditioning. It is possible to charge a DC battery from an AC source without converting the electricity to DC first - it just takes longer and isn't as efficient since the charging would only occur when the AC waveform is at a higher voltage than the DC voltage; as the battery charges, less and less of the AC waveform would contribute to charging.

So as long as we want cell phone batteries that charge quickly and aren't huge then I'm not sure we can avoid these hurdles.

May 1, 2007, 12:10 PM
    Okay, then let's extend this further... to a simple lamp.

The fact that there is a lamp pluged in, yet not turned on... it is drawing power?

May 1, 2007, 12:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Hussar
    Okay, then let's extend this further.... to a simple lamp.

The fact that there is a lamp pluged in, yet not turned on ... it is drawing power?
    Simple answer: No.

Not-so-simple answer: Maybe. When a lamp is turned off there is usually a physical break in the connection between line and neutral. If the physical distance between line and neutral is relatively small, however, there may be some ionization of the atmosphere between the two 'terminals' and an extremely small current may flow, hence drawing power. If the gap is small enough where the ionization causes an arc to form, then yes, power is being drawn.

But, for most intents and purposes, no. A regular old 120V, 60W incandescent lamp that it plugged-in but not turned on is not going to draw power.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Floor Warming Mat in Bathroom [ 3 Answers ]

I'm looking at putting in a warming mat in the floor of my bathroom when I remodel. I've looked specifically into the SunTouch floor warming Mats and have a general electrical question. The mats require you purchase a thermostat (70 bucks nonprogrammable one or 175 for the programmable one). ...

The Great Global Warming Debate [ 2 Answers ]

First let me state that I don't hold ALGOR or his scientific credentials in high esteem. I recently did a Google search for "The Great Global Warming Swindle", and viewed a compelling 75 min video, and several others on both sides of the issue. The fact that CO2 is but .35% of the Earth's...

Global Warming again. Al Gore, SHAME on you! [ 20 Answers ]

Judge for yourselves: Urban Legends Reference Pages: A Tale of Two Houses To Al Gore, Richard Dreyfuss, Alec Baldwin and the rest of the likes of you: Move to another planet and quit your lying and fearmongering! ... rant over...

BBC and the global warming threat [ 3 Answers ]

How many BBC news articles have there been in the past five years on global warming that present it as a legitimate threat to the earth as opposed to the articles that present it as a hoax?

Oil Furnace not warming house [ 12 Answers ]

Our oil furnace doesn't give us much heat in our bedrooms which are on the end of our home. We removed a wall in our kitchen a few years ago and it's very uncomfortable now. Our Home is 1354 Sq. Ft. and we think it should be warmer than it is. Any suggestions?

View more questions Search