Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dnsbyrd Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2007, 03:59 PM
    Buried sewer line
    How do I detect or locate my buried sewer lines in my yard?
    dnsbyrd Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2007, 04:05 PM
    What if I don't have access to a prob rod or a pipe locater device. Is there a home remedy I can try
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 30, 2007, 06:35 PM
    Go down to the building inspector and see if there is a layout for it showing where the city main is connected,

If you know where the main is, and you know where it comes out from your house, You can sort of guess.

If you have a metal "snake" you run it into the line and use a metal detector to try and locate it.

I also guess why are you looking for it?

And in the end, if you are doing some digging, if it goes "clunk" you found it.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 1, 2007, 06:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dnsbyrd
    how do i detect or locate my buried sewer lines in my yard?
    You look for a cleanout and follow the line from there. If you can locate the house cleanout and the building department can tell you where the street raiser is then you just sight a straight line between the two and you have the sewer layout. Good luck, Tom
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 1, 2007, 07:09 AM
    We are assuming you are on city sewer, is this correct? Maybe it would help if you told us more and why you need to locate the pipe. Back to you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can't find the sewer line. [ 7 Answers ]

I need to move a full bath in my basement. However, the sewer line can take one of two routes to one of two streets both having sewer mains. I have no telltale outside vents or cleanouts that I have been able to locate. What's the best way, before I start destroying concrete, to locate the...

Sewer Line Replacement [ 4 Answers ]

Hi - I need to have my sewer line from the house to the alley replaced due to tree roots. I was wondering if I can do this myself and what materials I would need? Can I use PVC and it is resistant to tree roots? Thanks! Nicki

What type of pipe for buried water line? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I had a pipe break recently in the water line running to a workshop behind my house. The existing pipe is galvanized that was buried and eventually rusted through. I want to abandon the pipe completely and run a new line. I am on a budget so... What about the white plastic pipe? What...

Belly in Sewer Line [ 16 Answers ]

Because our plumbing has stopped up numerous times we had a camera video made. The last time it stopped up I ran the washer and sewer came up through toilet and flooded the bathroom. What a mess! It shows no breaks but a significant belly. Our sewer line is under the slab and the estimate to...

Plumbing sewer line [ 1 Answers ]

We purchased some property in Snowflake Arizona that has a bunk house. The plumbing was not completed for the bathroom toilet or sink. There will be no other plumbing. We currently do have a septic and well. We would like to run the pipe that is cut off just outside the house and then masked...

View more questions Search