Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jenhope-girl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 29, 2007, 05:13 PM
    Strange smell in & around house
    Hi there!

We live in an 83 yr. old Bungalow in Memphis, TN and there is this smell right when you come in the front door of the house. You can also smell it under the kitchen sink when you open the cabinet doors. Also, on one side of the house outside you get the odor too. It smells similar to natural gas. But it is NOT GAS. When we bought the house 4 yrs ago, we had the Light Gas & Water people come several times. Its not gas. We also had our home inspector check it out several times & even come back a year later. It's a weird earthy sort of gassy smell. We don't smell it very much and only notice after coming back from a vacation. Everyone else notices. We are putting the house on the market some time soon & would like to fix the problem. Any ideas? Thanks!:)
    cjcdallas Posts: 63, Reputation: 6

May 10, 2007, 07:04 PM
    It could be a natural gas seepage through the soil... We had a spot in Northern Calif that did that and came out fast enough you could actually light it...
    If the gas people said it is not gas they may mean it is not THEIR gas...
    It could also be a leak of the drain pipes...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bad smell in house comes & goes [ 59 Answers ]

We've been living in the same home for over 6 years. It's a normal, modern home & we keep it clean. Maybe 6 months ago, this strange smell appeared in my daughter's bedroom. It's a combination of musk, fish & just plain stink. Sometimes it only lasts for a few minutes, sometimes hours, sometimes...

I think my house is haunted! Very strange occurrences! [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I think my house is haunted. Lots of things have happened in my house. To name a few: one night the shower came full on in my bathroom and know one had been near it. I came home one night and walked int the door and there was big thck drips of blood all around my house but it didn't go near...

Strange smell around water heater [ 11 Answers ]

There is a strange sewer-like smell surrounding the upstairs hot water heater in my house that is making me sick. The smell comes and goes and can be very strong and overwhelming. One plumber smelled it, but didn't know what caused it or what to do about it. I would appreciate any thoughts on...

Strange solvent/glue smell [ 2 Answers ]

We live in a house built in 1910- in the last couple of days we have noticed an extremely strong solvent/glue like smell coming from the downstairs toilet room. We have narrowed it down to a boxed in area that contatins an old lead water pipe whiche has some white staining on it. We are not 100%...

A strange smell in one room [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have been bothered by a strange smell in one room in my house. I smelled it last summer and it went away during the winter. Now the whether is getting warm (80 degree outside) and I notice the smell again. Even in summer time, the smell does not always stay. Sometimes we smell it and...

View more questions Search