Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    skip47 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 29, 2007, 02:54 PM
    89 honda civic hatchback electrical
    I am working on my grand daughters 89 honda hatchback, carborated not fuel injected. The car will run as long as I keep the ignition switch on to start. Soon as I let go it stops. Thought it may be main fuze and checked it out according to manual. But both the new main and the old main are not getting any continuity readings. I don't know what I'm doing wrong? Anyone ever run into this problem? Thanks skip
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Apr 29, 2007, 03:19 PM
    Here's how to properly test all under-dash and under-hood fuses with a test light or multimeter:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post252145

Your description makes it sound like the ignition switch needs replacing.
    badpenny Posts: 73, Reputation: 3

May 2, 2007, 09:09 AM
    This is the simple solution, I know exactly what it is. 1, your daughter and who ever else drives that car (here is the important part) LOOSE THE BIG WAD OF KEYCHAIN, it does nothing but tear up the ignition switch (which is almost 20 years old anyways) replace the ignition switch. Not the key switch, but the plastic one located behind it. You can access this by removing the 2 screws on the bottom of the column, and the big circle ring right behind the steering wheel, and then 2 more phillips screws that hold the plastic mechanism onto the key cylinder.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1991 Honda Civic Hatchback [ 6 Answers ]

I have read the previous post about late 80-91 hondas. My car idles great and always starts on the first try. My problem is that it sputters or looses power once in a while when I am driving. It has never stalled while driving.I have taken it to the shop and they have checked everything they think...

89 honda civic with previos electrical probs stalling out/trouble starting? [ 10 Answers ]

I bought this car about a year ago , and when I got it I had to redo part of the front electrical harness that attaches to the lights but I had to go as far back as the alt. the guy that had it messed it up by trying to repair a light and frying it all the way back, then he rigged his radio somehow...

94 Honda Civic DX Hatchback won't start [ 7 Answers ]

Ive read through these forums for the last couple weeks and seem to still have a problem getting my Civic to start. I really want to try to fix this on my own but I seem to have found myself at the end of the line. Any advice would be of great appreciation. My problem started when I was driving...

1990 honda civic hatchback... [ 3 Answers ]

all right so this is how it all began... I bought this civic... it ran fine for about three days... then every time I would come to a stop it would sputter and then idle normal again... then it just died when I came to a stop... I waited about 15 minutes and it started back up then sputtered and...

1991 Honda Civic Hatchback battery light [ 1 Answers ]

My battery warning light came on... what does that mean? If there are multiple possibilities, how do I narrow it down?

View more questions Search