Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tonit32 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2007, 10:56 PM
    Leaky roof
    We have a flat rubber roof which was put on about 18 months ago.

About a year after it was put on we had a section of our bedroom ceiling collapse.
    This was caused by water draining to a point in the roof deck over this point of the
    Ceiling and then falling down on the ceiling. There is no leak actually over this point.
    It seems to be getting under the rubber and then moving to this point.
    (This means the roof deck is not correctly sloped everywhere, but I don't
    Think anything can be done about that).

Since then the roofer has been out many times, and made various repairs
    To the rubber, the skylights and perhaps elsewhere. The problem seems to
    Have improved but we still get water emerging from the roofdeck at this point
    During heavy rain.
    (We have not repaired the ceiling, and this is one of the lowest points of the
    Roof deck, so any water which gets in will drain to this point).

The water seems to be travelling from somewhere else. It takes about 8 hours
    After the start of heavy rain for it to emerge, at which point its just a drip.
    However this drip goes on for a while and when we collect it in a bucket it can
    End up being a substantial amount of water - maybe up to a quart.

Its been about six months since the ceiling collapse, and I'm at a bit of a loss
    As to what to do. Can anyone suggest a way to help find the leak or other things
    To look for. Is there something that could give us a clue - for example popped nails (which we have a lot of) ? A friend suggested it could be the tuckpointing on the
    Chimney or the parapet wall (we live in a towhouse complex).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Kstar4u Posts: 255, Reputation: 22

Apr 26, 2007, 06:49 PM
    Maybe you can get some insight on the leak location by using a garden hose on the roof to supply water from directions that seem most "natural" and watch the flow for any eddies or low spots, where it pools. You didn't describe the type of building you have the elastomeric roof on but it sounds like "manufactured" construction. No matter what kind of structure it is... when it comes to roofing... every nail is a potential leak. If you can identify an area where the water seems to pool or slow considerably... and if re-sealing that area won't improve the slope (hence the flow off the roof)... you might consider adding a "cricket" to change the dynamics of the run-off. A "cricket" is a structure added to the roof... installed atop the existing roofing... that adds required pitch/slope to enable water flow off the roof. There are good elastomeric roofing products that will seal the existing roof and you can always hire a contractor to apply a "hot mop" roof if necessary.
    kohala55 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

May 1, 2007, 01:27 PM
    How big of roof is it.
    tonit32 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 1, 2007, 01:45 PM
    The roof is about 25 x 15 feet

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can I convert this shed roof to a gable roof? [ 5 Answers ]

I want to extend this porch out another 8 feet and convert the current shed roof to a gable roof. Is there a framing genius lurking here who can tell me how to make it happen? The conceptual image gives an idea of what I'm trying to accomplish with the porch. See attachments. Michael

Leaky Shower Bad Grout or Leaky Shower Pan [ 4 Answers ]

I recently bought a townhouse that had the upstairs bathroom redone completely with a walk it tile shower. I have been there a year and recently noticed that the grout is slightly cracked around the base (floor and walls). I have also noticed mold that I have sprayed in the grout (Since leaving...

Leaky breasts [ 7 Answers ]

:confused: I haven't even gotten a positive test result back and finally my insurance kicked in but I haven't had the chance to make a dr.appt for a blood test yet due to a very hectic work schedule. My question to you ladies is... Has anyone every had their breasts leak during early pregnancy? If...

Leaky closet [ 5 Answers ]

My toilet closet seems to be leaking water in the toilet bowl.The causes the water system to keep pumping water into the closet to maintain the water level. What can I do to solve the problem

Leaky pipe [ 7 Answers ]

My water supply line pipe to toilet is leaking how do I fix it

View more questions Search