Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kjogalloway Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2007, 07:29 AM
    Relinquishment of rights
    My Husband had a child with an ex girlfriend in November 2005. He hasn't spoke to or seen the child since February 2006. He has had no desire to see the child or help support it since he doesn't really consider himself the father because he's never really done anything for her. The mother lives about 250 miles away and has not made any attempt for the two to get together but she is coming after him for child support. Can he terminate his parental rights? And does he need the mothers consent? And what qualifies him for this? Any information would be helpful.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 25, 2007, 07:42 AM
    First why would you ever want to live with a man who cares nothing for his own child, Not really prime husband material in my book and not much of a man.

But he can NEVER not pay child support unless his ex remarries and they want to adopt, he can give away his rights to visit, or his rights to any custody level. But he will have to continue to pay child support no matter if he gives up his rights or not.

** She will get child support, he can't stop her. The court will order it, and even garnish it from his pay if he does not pay.

There would not be men sittling in prison today for not paying if it was just as easy as "giving up a right"
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Apr 25, 2007, 07:43 AM
    Hello kj:

If you read a little bit around here, you'll find 100's of dads that think they can give up their child support obligations. The answer we give most of the time is, if that were so, there would be dead beat dads lined up at our nations courthouses.

Why would any dad think he doesn't have to support his children?? Who does he think should support them? ME, the taxpayer??

excon
    wynelle Posts: 184, Reputation: 21

Apr 25, 2007, 06:00 PM
    What a jerk! Doesn't want to see his child. Doesn't want to support his child. Since it was a girlfriend, he was more than just a sperm donor. Why in the world would you support this behavior?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 25, 2007, 06:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kjogalloway
    what qualifies him for this?
    I really find it hard to believe you asked that. What could possibly "qualify" a man to abandon his child?

As you've been told and as you would have learned if you had bothered to read some of the other threads on this same subject, is that he can't get rid of his responsibility to that child. And shame on both of you for thinking you could.
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Apr 25, 2007, 06:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon

Why would any dad think he doesn't have to support his children??? Who does he think should support them? ME, the taxpayer????

excon
    Can I get an Amen?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 25, 2007, 09:01 PM
    Yes, I just hate the idea lets fast forward some years and this baby comes to a board like this, and says he wants to find his "real" father, since his mother will not tell him anything,
    47yo Posts: 20, Reputation: 2

Apr 26, 2007, 11:55 AM
    Okay - look, I'm an attorney in California and I have extensive experience on this issue. You are getting parental "rights" mixed up with parental "obligations". He has the right to have a relationship with the child, but whether he chooses to exercise any of his rights, he cannot get out of his obligation to support that child financially. And the less time he spends with the child, the more he has to pay! The rationale for this is that whoever has the child at any given moment is supporting the child during that moment - you know, feeding the child if it's hungry, clothing the child, supplying a roof over the child. So if there is no contact, the mother is supporting the child 100% - and they will come after the father to make a substantial contribution toward that.

So the answer is no, he cannot terminate his parental obligations under any circumstances. If the mother is on any kind of government aid, it gets worse - they can and will collect the money automatically through a wage garnishment if the father is working. They will take his tax refund automatically - he will never see it. They will charge him interest at a rate of 10%. He will threaten to quit his job (if he's working) and when he does that, they will order him to keep working - to seek and maintain employment. If he doesn't, they will file a Contempt of Court and put him in jail. They can also sell things he owns under certain circumstances. The arrearages (back support) will pile up - I've seen many guys who owe over $50,000 - and they aren't making a lot of money!

Again - the focus is on the child, not on whether it's "fair" or what either parent wants. The child is innocent and needs support, and BOTH parents have a legal obligation to support the child whether they want it or not.
    kcoyle Posts: 79, Reputation: 6

Apr 26, 2007, 12:09 PM
    [QUOTE=kjogalloway] The mother lives about 250 miles away and has not made any attempt for the two to get together but she is coming after him for child support. QUOTE]

Um hello? She is already raising his child with out any help from him. HE should be the one to make the effort to see HIS child. What a bum.
    integrity2all Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 25, 2010, 09:45 PM
    Comment on Emland's post
    Why would you want him not to have any part of the child's life, its not the child fault that your husband cheated on you.. thats just how the child was made. What kind of woman are you to encourage him.. I hope that karma comes back to you

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Voluntary relinquishment of parental rights [ 15 Answers ]

I have a child with my ex boyfriend we were never married and there was never given custody to either of us. I want to give my rights up on my child and for him to have all rights. How would I go about doing that?

Relinquishment of parental rights [ 3 Answers ]

I have a newborn baby girl who I fathered with a young woman I know, but am not in a relationship with. I have custody of her, and intend to raise her without her birth mothers involvement, which the birthmother has consented to, and she is willing to sign off parental rights. She and I are on very...

Voluntary Relinquishment of Parental Rights [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I had a child 14years when I was 18 and The father and his mother took my child from me at the age of one after I went in the hospital to have my daughter. I came home and went to pick up my child and they wouldn't let me after I called the police and came back to the house with the police...

Relinquishment feelings stirred by another death [ 4 Answers ]

I placed my daughter for adoption nearly 15 years ago. Like most women with open adoptions, I had to go through the stages of grief for relinquishment over a period of years (denial that there is grief with adoption delayed my healing by several years). I have seen a counselor, and worked...

WHERE do I acquire paperwork for relinquishment of parental rights? [ 3 Answers ]

The biological father of my unborn child wants to voluntarily relinquish every parental right he has. My husband wants to adopt the baby. Where do I go to look for this paperwork, short of hiring a lawyer? We want this to be as simple and straight forward as possible. All of this filing and counter...

View more questions Search