Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JAMES888 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2007, 09:18 PM
    Child pulled out of his or her native county
    Can a child 4 and half be taken away to another county from their parent who only has partial custody?
    Matt3046 Posts: 831, Reputation: 128

Apr 24, 2007, 09:31 PM
    Usually they can, as long as it is within a reasonable distance so as not to preclude visitation. But the moving parent will be responsible for at least half of the travel expenses,(if not all.) You will need to gage weather it is worth paying a lawyer to contest it. But you also have a right to know where your child is living, and with whom.
    47yo Posts: 20, Reputation: 2

Apr 26, 2007, 01:27 PM
    What do you mean by "partial custody"? How is the order/judgment worded? If you have joint legal and physical custody, then the moving parent has to get the court's permission. Courts do not like to have a parent effectively taken out of a child's life. If the other parent has sole custody and you have a substantial time share, then the other parent will have a much better chance. And WHY is the other parent moving to another country?
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Apr 26, 2007, 01:31 PM
    If your child doesn't have a passport, yet, then he can't leave the country without both parents consent. Newer passport laws require both parents to be present to process a child's passport application. There is a work around (notorized power of attorney), but they really want both parents to be there and sign the paperwork. I think it stemmed out of some spousal abductions in the 90s.

Also, that only applies to US children. Don't know about other countries.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water leaking from spout when diverter pulled [ 3 Answers ]

In the tub, when the shower diverter is pulled, a large amount of water is running out of the tub spout, lowering the water pressure in the shower head. In the past, the "normal" or expected amount of water came out of the spout, but this amount is much larger. Is there a way to replace the...

Ceiling fan string pulled out [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I went to turn on my 1 yr old ceiling fan and the string just pulled right out. Now my fan is stuck in the high mode... is there anything I can do to easily remedy this? I cannot get the fan off at all w/out this string... I can only change it's direction. I am NOT very handy at all, so...

Pulled Fuse on '97 Prelude Now Won't Start [ 2 Answers ]

My radio and power to the cigarette lighter died while I was driving. I pulled over and started checking the fuses unfortunately with the vehicle running. When I pulled the fuse under the dash marked ACC the car quit running. I didn't think anything of it at the time. I just figured that after I...

Chain pulled out! Nowhere to turn! [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I own a Hampton Bay ceiling fan and it has two chains, one for fan speeds and one for the light. I have a switch on the wall that enables me to turn both on or off and the chains allow me to switch them individually. I just left the room after a conversation and pulled the light chain and...

View more questions Search