Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    47yo Posts: 20, Reputation: 2

Apr 24, 2007, 05:12 PM
    Improperly installed toilet flange
    We recently bought a house that was built in 1994. I believe the previous owner did some "improvements" - and none too well, including installing new tile in the bathroom. Here's the problem: The toilet was leaking and then came completely loose, so I called the warranty company who sent out some kid who said that the toilet flange was improperly installed, so the warranty company would not cover it. I asked him for an estimate, and after calling his boss he said it would cost a minimum of $2,000 to repair! Help! He said they had to break up the tile and then jackhammer through the concrete slab, then install new pipe and a new flange. The estimate doesn't include pouring new concrete or putting down any tile, naturally. Does this sound reasonable? Are there any other options?
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Apr 24, 2007, 05:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 47yo
    We recently bought a house that was built in 1994. I believe the previous owner did some "improvements" - and none too well, including installing new tile in the bathroom. Here's the problem: The toilet was leaking and then came completely loose, so I called the warranty company who sent out some kid who said that the toilet flange was improperly installed, so the warranty company would not cover it. I asked him for an estimate, and after calling his boss he said it would cost a minimum of $2,000 to repair! Help! He said they had to break up the tile and then jackhammer through the concrete slab, then install new pipe and a new flange. The estimate doesn't include pouring new concrete or putting down any tile, naturally. Does this sound reasonable? Are there any other options?
    Can you upload a photo?

Apr 24, 2007, 05:30 PM
    Well - unfortunately, I can't at the moment...
    Ultra Member

Apr 24, 2007, 05:38 PM
    Well - unfortunately, I can't at the moment....
    The estimate for busting up the floor and re-doing the trap arm doesn't sound that far fetched, but I'm willing to bet we could come up with a less expensive solution if we could see how the flange in question was installed.

Can you borrow a camera?

Apr 24, 2007, 05:41 PM
    I do appreciate your quick response - I will try to borrow one. I actually have someone on his way to give me a second opinion right now - if that doesn't work, I'll upload a photo. Thanks!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 24, 2007, 05:47 PM
    Check with the lawyer that did your closing.

Apr 24, 2007, 08:15 PM
    Here's a picture:
    Attached Images

Ultra Member

Apr 25, 2007, 05:46 AM
    Here's a picture:
    Not a very big one, though. :(

I'm thinking you might be able to use a 'Quick Set' cast iron flange on it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

400C fill valve installed but toilet is running [ 13 Answers ]

Hello. I recently installed a Fluidmaster 400C valve into my toilet. The toilet will periodically run or sound as if it is filling with water. I have tried adjusting the fill valve and the float cup but nothing seems to be working. Can anyone provide me with any insight as to how to stop...

What toilet flange to use? [ 9 Answers ]

I am remodeling a bathroom in an old house. The floors are concrete, and right now there is just what looks to be a cast-iron waste line that runs up through the concrete for the toilet. The inside opening of the pipe is 3 1/2" in diameter. What flange do you recommend for this? I can only find 3"...

Toilet flange [ 1 Answers ]

I am installing tile in bathroom so the toilet flange is now about approx. 1/2" below the tile. Do I have to remove the toilet flange or are there extensions?

Toilet flange [ 1 Answers ]

I have a broken flange. It has been glued into the drain pipe. The toilet, sink and tub all flow into the same drain pipe. There is no way of getting under the floor other than remove it. Which we will do since the toilet leaked. But the pipes have a special configuration. Is there some way of...

Flange on toilet [ 1 Answers ]

I have just installed a new floor in the bathroom. What is the maximum space allowed between flange and bottom of toilet?

View more questions Search