Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    skyman2112 Posts: 12, Reputation: 2

Apr 24, 2007, 04:48 PM
    20.5 BS hard to crank
    Hi group, my riding mower is hard to start. Starter can barely turn the engine over past the compression stroke. Have to turn the key a couple times to get it to go past compression then it will start to spin continuously instead of just half a turn. Tried jumping it from my truck and the starter still would stop at the compression stroke. Replaced the battery and solenoid also. Sounds like the starter I know, but it has done this since new in '96. Now its getting worse. What about the valve adjustment? Thanks in advance
    newaukumdon Posts: 525, Reputation: 44

Apr 27, 2007, 07:04 PM
    Adjust the valves, the machine has a compression release and misadjusted valves will do it.

Don

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mower will not crank over [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I have a 15.5 Tecumseh riding mower. Last summer it had gotten where I would have to turn by hand the fly wheel screen to bypass the compression stroke so the starter would crank the engine. Before I came to this trick I replaced the battery then later the starter with little to no effect....

Battery will not crank lawnmower [ 14 Answers ]

I have a six year old yard man lawnmower that runs fine when I finally get it to start.the problem is the only way to use my lawnmower is to jump start it or chrge it every time.I thought I needed a bigger cold cranking amps battery but it did not help.I have tried buying a new battery and that did...

New starter... still won't crank! [ 5 Answers ]

OK, please help me fix my Civic before I take a sledge hammer to it. I have a 94 Honda Civic that won't start. It won't crank when you turn the key. The battery is fine. If you roll start it by putting it in gear and popping the clutch it starts right up just fine and runs like a dream. As soon as...

No Crank [ 2 Answers ]

'03 Honda civic hybrid--100,000 miles. Good batterey voltage--does not spin the "starter", when key is turned--checked both the in and the out clutch switches and both work properly. This is new diagnostic problem for me -- having vast experience with all other forms of vehicles. Haven't...

Car does not crank [ 1 Answers ]

I have 2001 Toyota Corolla. When I turn on the ignition switch the engine does not crank but there is a rapid crik, crik, crik,. sound coming from the hood. I tried to jump start and the same rapid crik, crik, crik,. sound coming from the hood. It sounds like there is some problem with the...

View more questions Search