Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sazykd Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2007, 12:42 PM
    Responsibilities of debts
    My son is the only child of his deceased father. There was no will. There is a 1st and a personal 2nd loan on the home property. The mortagage company has given us the option to give back the property to satisfy the loan on the 1st. Now my question is my son liable for the 45,000.00 owed on the 2nd if he has not been named legal heir by the courts? He is the only child,but does that make him responsible for his fathers debts? We were told my son couldn't rent ,sale or do anything with the home until he was named legal heir by the court.. We will not be going through Probate.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 24, 2007, 12:48 PM
    If the second loan was secured by the property, then, by accepting the property as his inheritance, he would become responsible. If it wasn't secured by the property, then no he wouldn't be responsible.
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Apr 24, 2007, 12:49 PM
    You can't inherit debt. He may lose the house to the creditors, but he won't get stuck with the balance.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 24, 2007, 01:57 PM
    If there is a first and second, you can't just give it back to the first mortgage holder, without dealing with the second mortgage,

Normally he is not going to "inherit" any of this, but will leave it in probate, and sell the property if possible, or allow it to be foreclosed.

He will need to be the over the estate to manage this, Since he does not know this, he needs an attorney to do this, so he does not do something stupid and end up oweing anything.

But no when done properly, the estate is sold, debts paid, and if there are debts left, they just remain unpaid and the people notified they are dead and that there is no longer money left.

But if he does it wrong, these people will give you poor advcie trying to obligate you to paying them.
    47yo Posts: 20, Reputation: 2

Apr 26, 2007, 01:32 PM
    This is a probate question, not family law...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Responsibilities of a step-mom [ 7 Answers ]

My fiancée and I have been together with my 12 year old daughter and our 6 month old son. Recently his 9 year old son decided to move in with us. My financee is a truck driver and is out of town a lot. His son is ADHD and a lot of work. Our baby was born pre-maturely and has a few medical...

Landlord responsibilities [ 3 Answers ]

In Florida, is the landlord responsible for providing window coverings for all window in the property he/she is renting out?

Legal responsibilities as next of kin [ 1 Answers ]

I have now after talking with many people realized that the chance on my mother-in-law being found incompetent are slim to none because she is aloud to make horrid decisions as long as she knows who she is and can fake her way through with a nod and a smile. I need to know if my husband being her...

Legal responsibilities [ 2 Answers ]

my friend, who's 17 left her house and now lives with us. my parents are going to take responsibility for her. what does that entail?

Landlord responsibilities [ 8 Answers ]

:confused: my landlord always wants the rent but fails to repair anything... the air conditioner blew up... the cabitents are falling apart... door frame was busted when I rented and he has failed to fix anything... can I hold his rent till damages that was there prior to me moving in has not been...

View more questions Search