Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cool_ca Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2007, 10:46 AM
    Theft under 5000 dollars
    Hi... I was caught at store with theft under $ 2 dallors and the security caought me. First of all I didn't know how I put it in my pocket and my mine wasn't there. But anyway none of this matters to them... Police were called and they told me to appear in court and I have to go to police station. I am losing my mine of this happened. But can anyone tell me how much would I probably be charged and what should I do. Will this go any records? Desprate help... I am 47 years old

Thanks to anyone who is willing to answer
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 24, 2007, 11:15 AM
    You will likely pay the $2, the legal fees of the store and any court costs if you are found guilty. You won't go to jail for a $2 theft but we don't know if you have other issues in your record. This will likely be part of your record if guilty. If there is a snowballs chance in hell that there are extenuation circumstances go to court with a lawyer and plead not guilty. Maybe the store security was faulty and they stooped you before you went through the door.

Apr 24, 2007, 11:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1
    You will likely pay the $2, the legal fees of the store and any court costs if you are found guilty. You won't go to jail for a $2 theft but we don't know if you have other issues in your record. This will likely be part of your record if guilty. If there is a snowballs chance in hell that there are extenuation circumstances go to court with a lawyer and plead not guilty. Maybe the store security was faulty and they stooped you before you went through the door.

NO I have clean record... never been charged with anything like this before... The security did stop me before leaving the doors... and I was willing to pay because I had money in my pocket. He refused... so they called the police...

Isn't there a way I can pay this without appearing in court
    rkennedy Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2007, 02:55 PM
    A theft is a theft and because of the dollar amount it should still be a misdemeanor. I would not see you getting much of a sentence, maybe probation or community service and pay restitution. It really does not sound like a big deal and if you have a clean record you might be able to have a lawyer pled the charge to disorderly conduct.
    rkennedy Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2007, 03:01 PM
    It does not matter if you walked through the doors or not. Most people think if you conceal an item and do not leave you can not be charged. That is not true in most states if the officer or complaining party can show the court that you concealed an item an an attempt to steal it you don't have to leave the store to be charged with theft. An example would be if someone took off the price tags of an item or removed the magnetic sensor. Even if they did not leave the store it would be easy to show the court that the defendant had the intention of stealing the item. Please do not be fooled by thinking you need to exit the store before being arrested.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 25, 2007, 04:03 PM
    I would say maybe a couple hundred dollar or less fine, and some community service

I would get an attorney and see if you can get into a diversion program
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Apr 25, 2007, 04:31 PM
    The others suggest good alternatives, but I wish to throw one more option out there for you.

Plead not guilty and go to trial. If this was a purely honest mistake, then you should be found not guilty at a criminal case.

That is another option, but caries a risk to it. Before you decide anything, talk it over with a lawyer.
    shirley-anne Posts: 7, Reputation: 3

Apr 25, 2007, 06:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cool_ca
    Hi... I was caught at store with theft under $ 2 dallors and the security caought me. First of all I didn't know how i put it in my pocket and my mine wasn't there. But anyways none of this matters to them... Police were called and they told me to appear in court and I have to go to police station. I am losing my mine of this happened. But can anyone tell me how much would I probably be charged and what should i do. Will this go any records?? Desprate help... I am 47 years old

thanks to anyone who is willing to answer
    Hey-You're outcome would depend on if you had a criminal history or not and if you are on probation, out on bail etc... If you had in fact only allegedly, and inadvertently put something in your pocket that was only 2$ in value, the charge would have to be theft under 500$ not 5000$. 5004 is the minimum.

Apr 26, 2007, 10:58 AM
    Thanks to everyone for helping... I truly appriciate all of the comments!! Thanks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Theft Under 5000 [ 7 Answers ]

My son was arrested for stealing cigarettes from a store he worked in. The cops came into his apartment and searched his place with no search warrant and then arrested him. He is 18 years old and we live in Canada. What should I do? Hire a lawyer? Could he get jail for this? Yes, it was a moment...

Theft under 5000.. [ 7 Answers ]

Last year, I was charged with theft under 5000. And just as usual I went to court , but the thing is that this was my first offence. So they were very easy with me, I had to do some diversion program and you I did that. When back to court and I was free too go. Some people told me that when I...

Theft under $5000.. : ( [ 20 Answers ]

Hey, I just got caught stealing from the Bay (HBC). I was first put under arrest.. brought into the back of the store and they took all of my information etc. etc. They checked my criminal record and everything, and since I don't have one they did not charge me but I'm not allowed going into...

Theft Under 5000/ way under 5000 [ 14 Answers ]

Okay this is probably one of the dumbest things I have done, day before yesterday I was caught on my own street with 2 other friends and I went into an open car, now I was not going to steal any money, I just didn't want to look like a pansy, I know stupid excuse. Anyway, right when I was in the...

Theft under 5000 [ 5 Answers ]

Wondering what is the most possible sentence for a guy25 who stole 3 batteries in superstore ?

View more questions Search