Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mlenfert Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Apr 23, 2007, 11:20 AM
    Is an Ornamental aluminum fence worth the outlay of cash
    I am considering having installed in my backyard a black aluminum ornamental fence. They seem to look very nice but I don't know of anybody who has one and if they are durable and will hold up for many years without that much maintence. Does anybody have an opinion on this type of fence? Also I am thinking about installing the fence myself because the cost of this fence in my backyard is going to run me about $5000 installed. I have about 200 linear feet to install. Does anybody have any tips about installing fences to make it a little easier for a do it yourselfer?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 23, 2007, 11:39 AM
    An aluminim fence will last longer than most other fencing materials. The black finish may dull after about 5-10 years but it will provide service for many more years. There is a simple form of cement for posts that can be poured directly into the hole, dry. Once you are sure of the spacing and level you brace the fence and add water.
    eggers08 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2008, 07:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mlenfert
    I am considering having installed in my backyard a black aluminum ornamental fence. They seem to look very nice but I dont know of anybody who has one and if they are durable and will hold up for many years without that much maintence. Does anybody have an opinion on this type of fence? Also I am thinking about installing the fence myself because the cost of this fence in my backyard is going to run me about $5000 installed. I have about 200 linear feet to install. Does anybody have any tips about installing fences to make it a little easier for a do it yourselfer?
    What who tols you that my husband has bee a fencer for 15 years and they are crazy who ever told you that the only way that could be if it was labor and materials but I still don't think it would be that high for 200'
    the1unv Posts: 285, Reputation: 31

Apr 24, 2008, 05:55 PM
    Well it is getting more costly every day, My father-in-law has spent all week hauling old scrap iron from his farm to the salvage yard... he is getting paid $250.00 a ton for old junk iron. When the salvage yard sells they get almost double that... Yes it could be that expensive, yes it is worth it... it will last a long time. If you want it perfect (straight,level and solid) I would hire it done... you will be happier in the long run.
    Mike
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 24, 2008, 06:10 PM
    Hey guys, take a look at the first post. That was 4-07, this is 4-08 its been dormant for exactly a year, thinking the fence is probably in the ground by now.
    the1unv Posts: 285, Reputation: 31

Apr 24, 2008, 07:06 PM
    NAWWWWWWWWWW, I think this guy may have worked for the "city crew" and we all know they talk about things for a year before they really do anything!!
    LOLO
    Mike

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wood privacy fence with steel (metal) fence [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, We are planning to put in a 6' wood privacy fence on the sides of our property. We would like to install a metal (steel posing as wrought iron) fence across the front at a later date. My understanding is the terminal metal fence posts would be directly beside but not attached to the terminal...

Ornamental Cherry tree growing on one side only [ 4 Answers ]

I have an ornamental cherry tree that I purchased about 2 years ago and planted. When I got it I could see that one side of the main trunk didn't have any branches but figured it would fill out. Now, 2 years later, it's about 8 feet tall and still no growth on the one side. Any ideas?

View more questions Search