Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    menalek Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 1, 2017, 08:58 PM
    Low voltage in garage
    Hi,
    I am having issues with electrical power in my garage (lights won't go on or door won't work). I checked power in one of the outlets and it's around 40~50V. Any idea what's happening?

Thanks
    hfcarson Posts: 1,003, Reputation: 49
    Ultra Member

May 2, 2017, 04:10 AM
    Yes, in past experience what you are describing has been the symptom of the loss of a neutral conductor connection. (the neutral conductor, or white wire is loose somewhere in the circuit)

First determine (test other outlets) if this low voltage (or high voltage) condition exists throughout the dwelling or just in the area of the garage. If throughout the dwelling it could be outside at the utility service connection. If just in a small area, check the connections at all the receptacles that test at a low voltage.

This is not an easy fix...good luck
    hfcarson Posts: 1,003, Reputation: 49
    Ultra Member

May 3, 2017, 04:12 AM
    btw, you never mentioned what type of electrical meter you are using...
    digital meters can sometimes read a phantom voltage, in cases like this a solenoid style
    voltage tester will give a more accurate result.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 3, 2017, 08:48 AM
    Start at Main Disconnect, to Panel, then Sub Panels. You need to Have 120 Volts between each Hot Leg and Neutral, Ground. You also need to check for 240 Volts across the 2 Hots. Verifying 120 on each Hot is not enough, If half of a 2 Pole Breaker is Tripped, voltage will go out on good half to the loads and read voltage on the tripped Half of Breaker.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

May 3, 2017, 08:51 AM
    No doubt you have sensors that detect any obstructions to the door working that can cut power to the opening mechanisms so I would also check those as well for proper alignment and clean lens. Probably should be first on the list of trouble shooting.

How Does a Garage Door Sensor Work?

Check to see if there are any obstructions as this can be the cause of the malfunction. If the garage doorway is clear, you may need to either clean the lens or realign the sensor/sensors. If all of these options fail, contact a professional to look into the problem.
    Loose wires, or stripped or broken plastic coupling gears are also prime suspects for garage door malfunctions.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Help with finding Low voltage Low current AC switching devices [ 0 Answers ]

I am building a circuit. It will all be using AC voltage and current. I am using a very low signal power source (1-2v) and most likely mA to charge a capacitor to 1.5vac once the capacitor reaches 1.5vac I would like to use a switching device (most likely a transistor) to short the capacitor + to -...

CHALLENGING QUESTION: Low-voltage switch in a high-voltage circuit? [ 6 Answers ]

A project I'm working on has an air pump and a water pump that run during operation. When the water tank that the water pump draws from becomes empty, a liquid level switch will be used to shut off both pumps. The original plan was to just place the switch in series with the power supply for...

I have low voltage one one of the 120 line of a 240 voltage supply why? [ 3 Answers ]

I have 240 supply coming from my supplier. 3 wires 120 volts , 120 volts, and neutral. As soon as I turn on my breaker one of the 120 line goes low to something like 65 volts and the other lines goes high to 170 volts. Why is that?

Halogen - line voltage (120v) or low voltage (12v) [ 5 Answers ]

Hi. I am renovating the kitchen and plan to install small halogen MR16 ceiling pot lights. Contrast and Lightolier have been recommended. At least, the Contrast line is available with either line or low voltage feeds. These questions come up as the plan calls for 9x35w MR16 (ceiling pot...

Track lights: low voltage vs line voltage.comsume the same electricity in the end? [ 11 Answers ]

Hi! I just installed a section of track light in my living room just to see what it would look like and so far I'm not convinced... you see, I had a regular celing lamp with a 75w incandescent bulb and the room was very well lit... now with the track light I find that I need 3 fixtures with halogen...

View more questions Search