Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rubysue Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2007, 07:46 AM
    Rawhide bad for dogs?
    I just got a new puppy, I have not had I dog since I was I little kid so I am kind of clueless. So my friend told me that rawhide bones are bad for dogs, is that true? Cause when I was growing up my dogs always had these treats, and they were completely fine.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 16, 2007, 08:39 AM
    There is no doubt that dogs occasionally choke on or have an intestinal blockage from rawhides. I have never been able to dig figures on how frequently. I do know that careful, caring, knowledgeable dogs owners avoid them. Giving your dog a rawhide is like many other risky behaviors, you may or may not get away with it. I can't say your dog will have problems if you give rawhides. I can say, it will do fine without them.

A lot has changed in the dog world. Through my volunteer work with service dogs, I have access to some of the most reliable, up to date information. I have put much of it in the sticky at https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...tml#post251802
    mrscoltweaver Posts: 240, Reputation: 20

Apr 18, 2007, 11:09 AM
    Greenies are better-they break down easily and are "nicer" to the intestinal tract as well as providing helpful enzymes for healthy teeth. Labman often promotes a Kong filled with a treat-ask your vet what treats are OK.
    Uber Member

Apr 18, 2007, 12:09 PM
    Greenies kill. I think there is a big law suit working its way through the courts on them. The trouble with them and other consumable treats is that the dogs fairly quickly gnaw them to small enough that they can gulp them down, again blocking the air way or digestive tract. My dogs don't get the flavored Nylabone consumable bones either for the same reason.

Apr 18, 2007, 12:32 PM
    Never heard of anything on the greenies. My vet hasn't heard anything on the greenies, either. Where did this originate? Where's the info?

Apr 18, 2007, 01:51 PM
    labman-found the lawsuit and info on CNN. Had no idea. That is pretty bad when the label says 100% digestible...
    Jessyfay Posts: 164, Reputation: 4

Apr 18, 2007, 02:03 PM
    My dog has no interest in nylabone, loves rawhide, I give to him under supervision, he chews on it while were on the couch watching TV. Another great idea that I do, is you buy a rope bone and soak it in homemade chicken or beef stock, put it in the freezer and than give it to him as a delicious treat, great for teething puppies and the small fibers will not only work as dental floss but what he does consume will come out the other end, but you do have to still keep supervision on that as well. I also give my dog beef tendons, loves them !
    Jessyfay Posts: 164, Reputation: 4

Apr 18, 2007, 02:06 PM
    Is the greenies bad for cats too? Because my cats eat tons of them.
    Uber Member

Apr 18, 2007, 02:27 PM
    I am somewhat surprised how many dogs do seem to like the regular Nylabones. They seem to enjoy chewing away on the plastic. If you hunt, you can find a wide variety of Nylabone toys, rings, ''Y'' bones, dinosaurs, and even a key ring teething toy. The dinosaur Nylabones have a nubby texture that really seems to appeal to the dogs. A broken in Nylabone seems more attractive to dogs too. You might try roughing what you have up with sand paper or a wire brush. Even rubbing it on concrete might help.

If none of your local stores have what I have suggested, try Dog & Pet Supplies - Vet Vax, Inc Pet Supply Store for dogs, cats, horses. About once a year I combine orders with others and spread the freight over many toys. They have a good selection, good prices, and unlike a better known pet supply, don't spam you. I have no financial interest in them, just somebody I have had good luck with.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Hot Dogs For Dogs [ 7 Answers ]

My 20 Month Old -13 Lb Female Shih Tzu Has Always Been A Picky Eater. Recently We Gave Her A Beef Hot Dog... she Won't Eat Anything Else. I Give Her 2 Hot Dogs At Noon & 2 At 6pm... she Lovvvvvvvvves Them & Is Happy As Can Be. Am I Feeding Her Too Much & Is She Getting Proper Nutrition? Thank You

Are hot dogs safe for dogs [ 7 Answers ]

Are hot dogs safe for me to feed to my dog,or are there any health issues I should be concerned with?

Bad luck, bad karma, or bad self-esteem? [ 5 Answers ]

I recently heard once again a comment I've heard many, MANY times over the past several years: "You and your husband have worse luck than anyone else I know!" and I have one question: "Why is that?" You see, just about the time we get to the point we can manage to keep up on all our monthly...

Is Hot Sauce Bad For Dogs? [ 4 Answers ]

My 13 week old Dane gets in to and onto every thing. He had a taste of some hot sauce. Don't know if if will hut him,aside from the burn. Are there any dangers? Thanks

Rawhide bones [ 2 Answers ]

I heard rawhide is not good for dogs. Is this true? If so, how come? Thanks everyone

View more questions Search