Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    eadoff Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2007, 05:27 PM
    Leaking Basement
    Hi
    I know of a house that is for sale and there is an active water leak in the basement. I don't believe that the owners have disclosed this fact because they want the most money they can get. So, if I call the real estate agent and tell them of this leak could I be held accountable for any problems with the sale of the house, defamation of character etc. I do have first hand evidence to prove there is an active leak.

Thanks for the advice

EA Duff
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Apr 13, 2007, 06:25 PM
    Kind of a sticky issue here. I am assuming that you are concerned about disclosure to whomever might purchase the home. I hope that I am correct.

Maybe there would be an open house in the near future?

If there is a open house sometime, you might want to go in and ask questions the realtor yourself, not about any disclosure, but about whether there are any leaks. Or, have some friends that you know, but the owner doesn't and have them go to the open house.

Just an idea.

I had a similar problem when I bought my home. I asked about leaks in the basement. He said that he had "detected" moisture from time to time. Well, to make a long story short, it was very detectible and quite much more than moisture as the years went by after I purchased it.

A few sites that do address some of the legalities concerning issues like this, are listed below.

Wet Basements - Should You Buy a House With a Wet Basement? - Spotting Inherent Wet Basement Problems

New Home Has Water Problems - Real Estate Advice - Home Inspection

http://www.weloveaustin.com/sellers/...isclosure.html
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Apr 13, 2007, 06:29 PM
    Hello ea:

I'll bet you know a lot of bad stuff about people. What is it about THESE people, that makes you want to snitch on them? Don't like 'em huh?

I'm not going to help you settle a vendetta. If you're so worried about the new buyers, why don't you go down and fix the leak?

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 13, 2007, 06:58 PM
    I will go with excon, what is it about this that makes you want to do that,
    Why do you believe these people would not tell about it.

And if it a active leak would it not be able to be seen by the realitor when they looked at the home or show the home?

Also before anyone buys it, they would pay and have a home inspection done also.

But you can, if it is true, inform the realitor about it, as long as it is true, there isno problem, but if that problem was fixed or if you are wrong, then yes they could sue you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Door Sill Leaking Into Basement [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, My basement is leaking due to a spring thaw. I see exactly where it is but need to fix it QUICK before a vacation tomorrow. The problem is that the grade outside is sloping towards the house. This will be fixed in the spring. For now I need a temporary fix to at least get me through...

2nd floor Shower leaking down to basement [ 9 Answers ]

The shower stall upstairs is leaking down to our basement. I noticed that the leak runs down along the main drain pipe. Is this a grout problem or something related to the actual drain? The water that runs down on the actual perimeter of the drain pipe. And it's a good amount of water that runs...

Leaking basement [ 2 Answers ]

I live in the N.E. where there is lots of rain and snow. The house does not have gutters and leaders. (told not to use in order to prevent ice dams) A leak has developed along 3 ft of the basement wall. It appears to be the result of water coming off the roof at that place in great quantity...

View more questions Search