Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JohnsPop Posts: 99, Reputation: 2

Feb 16, 2016, 04:13 PM
    Possible Fungus/Mold?
    I have this little situation in my garage. This is right under a back door that goes out to our back deck that has leaked some over the last couple years. I guess water has gotten through the flooring and caused this in the garage. Sorry the pictures aren't better, but with the rippling on the surface, it looks almost like a mushroom in texture. I haven't touched it but I did knock off a piece that was growing along the edge of the garage door framing down below and it knocks apart about like a mushroom. Can I just trim this stuff off with something and then bleach it, or do I need to get some type of fungicide? Or is it a mold I'm dealing with? Is that the same thing? Forgive my ignorance. Thanks.

Pat
    Attached Images

paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Feb 16, 2016, 04:24 PM
    I think you are dealing with a fungus, spray it with a funguscide. You haven't told us whether it has penertrated the wood. Once you have dealt with it examine the wood to ensure there is no rot present and make sure you wear protective gear when dealing with it gloves, mask. I once had something like this under my kitchen floor, the whole floor had to be replaced and that was the result of water
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Feb 16, 2016, 07:16 PM
    Looks like a "turkey tail mushroom or fungus". It looks like a male turkey tail when the Tom is displaying. We have lots of them in the GA mountains on dead trees. They are saprobic, growing on decayed wood. A fungus is not a mold but mold is a type of fungus. They are not a health hazard, in fact, work is underway for their extracts to be used in cancer treatment. Just carve out the fungus, brush on a wood preservative but be sure to eliminate the source of water.
    JohnsPop Posts: 99, Reputation: 2

Feb 17, 2016, 03:47 PM
    Awesome. I put an awning over the door and I've siliconed all around it. I've got some epoxy type wood rebuilder product like for using around windows and such, so I'll put some of that in there if there's any decay... well, once I waller out any bad wood. Thank y'all!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mold--how to treat it and can the walls be painted to discourage mold? [ 2 Answers ]

How do your rid cinderblock walls of mold and can you paint walls afterwards to prevent more mold?

Feet Fungus [ 9 Answers ]

Is there a Alternative treatment for cracking fungus or yeast maybe on the feet... I have it only on my left foot not my right. Is there something I should be worried about...

Fungus among us! [ 2 Answers ]

I recently planted a Basil plant into potting soil that had been grown hydroponically. It was fine for a week, than in the past two days it started growing a white fuzzy mold on the surface of the soil. See attached pictures. How can I fix this, Please help!

Landlord will not Clean mold or replace mold covered cabinate in a timely Manner [ 4 Answers ]

We have Mold in our rented house! We had a pipe break under our kitchen sink and the landlord came and fixed that about a month ago, and said he would be back to fix the cabinate under the sink. Well it is now COVERED in mold and its even growing in the drawers. We called and he came and "cleaned"...

Is this mold, fungus or something elce? [ 1 Answers ]

I need to know if this is mold, fungus or something elce. I also need to know what it is called. If it is harmful. How to dispose of it. Please contact me at [email protected] Thank you

View more questions Search