Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mamaof2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2007, 06:03 PM
    Potty training
    I was wondering how I can start potty training my 20 month old daughter I Need help with it she will sit down with a diaper on and say potty but then I will take off her diaper and she won't go its getting frustrated what can I do
    Jessyfay Posts: 164, Reputation: 4

Apr 13, 2007, 03:05 PM
    As a parent I am all for letting your child discover and learn to use the toilet when they are ready, I think 20 months is a little young, It should never be forced and if you pressure a child it will only back fire. I think children need to make there own choice when they want to stop using the baby diaper and use the big kid toilet. You can guide them and give them options, like buying potty training diapers, potty seat, reward stickers, there own special toilet paper and soap. They'll eventually want to learn and use the potty on there own. Let them be free. That's what I did and my daughter was out of diapers at the age of three and she has never had an accident, not even at night.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 13, 2007, 03:15 PM
    I have to agree with Jessy. You need to wait until they are ready. No child ever goes to kindergarten in diapers.
    diya Posts: 303, Reputation: 62

Apr 20, 2007, 07:03 AM
    U know what... u're lucky if you have hardwood floors and then keep the child with no diapers on... trust me... no better way than this to teach them potty training fast and efficiently... try it...
    alkalineangel Posts: 2,391, Reputation: 323
    Ultra Member

Apr 20, 2007, 07:13 AM
    I agree... a little too young at this point. You will most liekly end up training yourself rather than her... meaning you will get yourself on her schedule and just remember to get her to the potty at that time... but she won't quite get it.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 20, 2007, 07:54 AM
    Most learn at their own pace, so don't push it, while it is posible it is young for it
    robertsqueen Posts: 376, Reputation: 43

Apr 20, 2007, 08:29 AM
    Twenty months is a little early, but not impossible. She needs to show intrests before you start to potty train her. It is good that she knows the concept of the potty... but I wouldn't push it because it can postpone the pottying even more. You could try buying a potty video or book. Put books and toys by the potty that she can enjoy while she is trying to learn.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What about potty training? [ 9 Answers ]

My 5 1/2 yr old ADHD and bipolar granddaughter is not potty trained yet. It does not bother her to "sit in it" even to the point of making her bottom bleed. She will go potty if reminded but my mess herself 10 minutes later. We are at our wits ends! Anyone? Please? :confused:

Potty Training [ 3 Answers ]

Why is there a myth that girls are easier to potty train than boys?:)

Potty training [ 10 Answers ]

My son is almost 3 and we have been potty training for about a year when he is with his father or his grandparents he will potty on the toilet no problem but when he is with me he won't. Sometimes when I put him on the toilet he will go but other times he won't or he will throw a fit and then he...

Potty training [ 19 Answers ]

My son turned 3 years old in April and will not use the potty! He's not interested and wants nothing to do with it. We have tried all the usual approaches without any luck. Any good ideas?? I've already tried 1- putting a potty that makes a flushing sound and a hurray sound in front of the TV...

Potty Training [ 2 Answers ]

My female miniature daschund has been with me for 1 month. My mom think scolding her and spanking her is how you train a dog. Whenever she comes in the house she eventually pees or poops if we don't get her outside imeditly. She is always desperate to find a way inside the house or she begs at the...

View more questions Search