Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    raindrops300 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2007, 06:05 AM
    Key won't turn in ignition
    I have a 1996 Toyota Avalon, the key will go in the ignition but won't turn. It usually does after a couple tries. The problem seems to be getting worse and sometimes the key won't come out.
    karent23 Posts: 133, Reputation: 8

Apr 12, 2007, 06:38 AM
    Have you wiggled your clutch? Sometimes your car won't go all the way in park so the key won't turn.
    iminlove Posts: 31, Reputation: 5

Apr 12, 2007, 06:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by raindrops300
    I have a 1996 Toyota Avalon, the key will go in the ignition but won't turn. It usually does after a couple tries. The problem seems to be getting worse and sometimes the key won't come out.
    I had this happen with 2 of my older jeeps. Eventually I was stuck one day when I couldn't turn OR remove the key. I had to call out a locksmith to a mall parking lot to come and replace the key AND ignition. If you have an electronic chip key this will cost you a FORTUNE.
    For my straight key/Sunday service it only cost me 210 dollars and considered myself lucky.
    It would be best to have a locksmith look at it now before you get stuck somewhere.
    I was told that my Excessive key chains/keys/ was causing my ignition to wear out sooner than average.
    modular01 Posts: 129, Reputation: 36

Apr 12, 2007, 02:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by iminlove
    I had this happen with 2 of my older jeeps. Eventually I was stuck one day when I couldn't turn OR remove the key. I had to call out a locksmith to a mall parking lot to come and replace the key AND ignition. If you have an electronic chip key this will cost you a FORTUNE.
    For my straight key/Sunday service it only cost me 210 dollars and considered myself lucky.
    It would be best to have a locksmith look at it now before you get stuck somewhere.
    I was told that my Excessive key chains/keys/ was causing my ignition to wear out sooner than average.
    Iminlove is correct, the ignition is starting to go on your car. I would bring it into the dealer as soon as you can. You definitely don't want to be stranded; I've had it happen to me before, in sub zero temperatures in winter. Make sure that you don't have a lot of things hanging off your keys (heavy key chains, etc) like iminlove said; as it pulls on the ignition, and will cause premature wear.
    FixHondas Posts: 70, Reputation: 4

Apr 12, 2007, 04:44 PM
    Have you tried another key?
    Keys do wear and will eventually not turn the ignition lock.
    It may be time for a new key.
    You'll need a key to be cut from the key code (not a duplicate made from your worn out key)
    kitch428 Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Apr 12, 2007, 06:10 PM
    I agree with fixhondas... what he said!
    raindrops300 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2007, 11:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by raindrops300
    Thanks for everybody's suggestions! A new key helped for about a week, then it began to act up again. I took it to a locksmith who repaired the tumblers in the ignition cylinder. It cost $110 but it well worth the money.
    iminlove Posts: 31, Reputation: 5

Apr 26, 2007, 12:04 PM
    Hi, I am really glad you have it fixed- now you have peace of mind and hopefully a warranty too- cheers!
    Justin Emalius Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 15, 2007, 05:11 PM
    Not an answer but.. . About 6 weeks ago, I started having the same key-not-turning problem with my 2000 Avalon master key. When I turned the key over, it worked, but this weekend that stopped. My wife's master key works OK and so does the parking lot attendant's key. Luckily I have the key id tag so I can order a new one.
    AD1234 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 15, 2007, 11:06 PM
    I used to work for a roadside assitance company (who will remain nameless) and the locksmiths used to tell me that sometimes pressure builds in the lock and if you yank the steering wheel really hard to the left or right it releases the pressure and the key will turn. No one would put their name to this so there's a little disclaimer, but it's worked every time for me and the customers I recommended it to "off the record."
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

May 16, 2007, 06:07 AM
    Read my profile. I worked for a major Toyota dealer for years. Most all vehicle keys are a brass alloy and are really kind of soft. The wear quickly and the "dust" that wears off stays in the ignition lock cylinder ( and the door lock cylinder ) and eventually build up causing the binding. There is no preventative maintinance. They just wear out and eventually need replaced. Don't forget you have a really nice car and it should give you years of good service even with the occasional glitch.
    URBS Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jul 16, 2008, 07:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainRich
    Read my profile. I worked for a major Toyota dealer for years. Most all vehicle keys are a brass alloy and are really kinda soft. The wear quickly and the "dust" that wears off stays in the ignition lock cylinder ( and the door lock cylinder ) and eventually build up causing the binding. There is no preventative maintinance. They just wear out and eventually need replaced. Don't forget you have a really nice car and it should give you years of good service even with the occasional glitch.

I found this sight today looking up the same issue, '96 Avalon key needs exstensive wiggling to finally work. I have several keys and they all have the same problem allalso being old keys. I read here how to remove the cylinder if I can get the key to accessory. Is the best option to just buy a new one? If so must it be from a dealer and how much?

Can I oil the cylinder to clean it out of key dust or will this just attract dirt and make it worse?
    adam9981 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2008, 01:45 PM
    I have also been experiencing this problem but I cannot get the key to turn very much at all (maybe about 2mm) so I don't think I can get it to the ACC position. I have tried turning the steering wheel and spraying it with WD 40 as well as penetrating oil. It is stuck at a gas station right now and I found somewhere that I can get a replacement lock and key but it sounds like you have to be able to turn it to ACC before it will let you release it.

Is there any way for me to get this lock out or am I going to have to have a locksmith come fix it?
    URBS Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2008, 02:27 PM
    I took the following steps which worked for me.

1. I did put oil in but realize now I should not have. I should have put graphite powder in instead.

2. I found the answer here to bring the wheel to each extreme and bang it three times in each direction. This absolutely worked for me.

3. I then drove to the Toyota dealer and had them cut me a new key from the vin number. They then stressed it a little with a wire brush. It does not look like the 12 year old keys I have that might have been made from copies over the years. The old keys are all worn down so where do youi you think the metal dust is that wore off the keys?

Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Key won't turn in car ignition [ 4 Answers ]

Key won't turn in car ignition

Key stuck in ignition [ 2 Answers ]

When I turn off the car the key will not pull out from the ignition. The wheels will turn when they shouldn't. Any ideas?

Key won't turn after installing new ignition lock cylinder [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I own a 1996 honda hatchback. My car required a new ignition lock cylinder. I ordered one off line and went about replacing it. I managed to get it installed. But my problem is after I connect the ignition switch to my new ignition lock cylinder my car won't allow me to turn my key all...

Spare key does not turn in the ignition [ 5 Answers ]

First of all I would like to say hello and I am new to Ask Me Help Desk Forums. My problem started with the key breaking in half while it was in the ignition. I was on my way home, parked, and turned the engine off. I then pulled the keys out of the ignition. As I was getting out of the...

Turn ignition key: it just clicks [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 1982 dodge D150 with a straight 6 auto and someone messed with it and know when I turn the key all it dose is click how do I fix this problem

View more questions Search