Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    diyer2009 Posts: 85, Reputation: 1

Jul 21, 2015, 06:21 PM
    How do I remove glue/construction adhesive?
    Hi all, I have a mirror that was glued to sheetrock in a bathroom. I was able to save the mirror without breaking it when I removed it from the wall. Now that I've made the repairs to the wall and hung new sheetrock I want to put the mirror back up where it was. How would I remove the glue/construction adhesive that's stuck on the back of the mirror?

Thanks in advance!
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jul 21, 2015, 06:32 PM
    Tough one. The backs of mirrors are typically painted to protect the aluminized coating from oxidizing. Damage that and your mirror is ruined. Paint doesn't stick very well to glass so it's a delicate procedure.

Its worth trying because the mirror is trash if you throw it out...and its trash if you ruin it trying.... I'd try delicately with a hairdryer....see if it softens enough to scrape gently off with a fingernail.

Don't get it too hot as it might break the glass.

Jul 21, 2015, 06:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    Tough one. The backs of mirrors are typically painted to protect the aluminized coating from oxidizing. Damage that and your mirror is ruined. Paint doesn't stick very well to glass so it's a delicate procedure.

Its worth trying because the mirror is trash if you throw it out...and its trash if you ruin it trying.... I'd try delicately with a hairdryer....see if it softens enough to scrape gently off with a fingernail.

Don't get it too hot as it might break the glass.
    Hmmm, when you say "…with a fingernail". I'm talking about globs of glue. The mirror is about 3ft x 3ft. I can see using some kind of heat source to soften it I guess. Thanks.

Would like to know if anyone else has any suggestions too please.

Edit: I actually just tried a few spots using a spackle knife and its coming off pretty easily. Thanks!
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jul 21, 2015, 06:40 PM
    Hair dryer is about the most gentile heat source you can use. Anything more powerful is likely to break the glass. (unequal thermal expansion)

Solvents might soften and remove the coating on the back. Good luck. Its one heck of a job to do.

Maybe you won't have to remove it all...just the thickest parts and use globs of new glue where there is none now. Or use perimeter brackets.

Jul 21, 2015, 06:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    Hair dryer is about the most gentile heat source you can use. Anything more powerful is likely to break the glass. (unequal thermal expansion)

Solvents might soften and remove the coating on the back. Good luck. Its one heck of a job to do.

Maybe you won't have to remove it all...just the thickest parts and use globs of new glue where there is none now. Or use perimeter brackets.
    Hi again and thanks. It looks like most of it is coming off with a spackle knife.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What adhesive will glue foam insulation to wood outdoors? [ 4 Answers ]

Hello! Last year I used Liquid Nails to glue blue foam board insulation to a wooden door of an outdoor pump house. We get below zero temps here in winter. This spring the board all came off, the liquid nails just dried into a hard crust remaining on both surfaces, but not binding to each other. Any...

Can a floor leveler be used over black adhesive glue [ 6 Answers ]

I will be tiling the kitchen floor over electric radiant heat, There is a black adhesive under the vinyl tiles that I am taking up. Can I use a floor leveler over the radiant heat mats and pour it directly over the black adhesive and then tile?

Construction adhesive [ 1 Answers ]

Can someone tell me how strong Bulldog Grip Construction adhesive is and how much heat it can take. I am planning on using it to finish around a fire place. Thanks Luc

Removing construction adhesive [ 1 Answers ]

We are in the process of remodeling our bathroom. We removed ceramic tiles from the walls; however, we do not know how to remove the construction adhesive. Can any one help us!! We will not be replacing the tiles.

View more questions Search