Ask
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jul 22, 2015, 03:18 PM
    Keep me posted...
    diyer2009 Posts: 85, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2015, 01:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by massplumber2008 View Post
    I say patch the wall and then set the toilet... definitely was the toilet gasket or something else leaking at the toilet (like water dripping from the tank to bowl bolts), but not going to be an issue with the water pipe, so seal 'er up and set that toilet!

Good luck
    Hey there, well I've decided to try and breathe new life into this neglected bathroom so I'm going to replace a few things while I'm replacing the toilet. Would anyone know if/how I can remove that secondary outter piece? Or can I just get new faucet handles that go over that? I'm assuming the stem sits within that piece and that's what the handle screws into. I'm just not sure if I can just replace the handles or do I need to replace the stems too? I have no leaks or slow drips so I'm assuming the valves and stems are in good shape. Thanks!
    Attached Images

ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jul 24, 2015, 05:01 PM
    You can replace the knobs or the chrome base or both. That is an older Delta? Remove the knob and the chrome base pulls off. Might have to use some WD40 down the hole and wiggle a bit. I have had to saw the top and break them off but it can be done.

Jul 24, 2015, 05:22 PM
    OK but can I replace just the knobs if that outer piece is still attached? It kind of looks like that piece came with the original knobs.

Jul 25, 2015, 04:50 AM
    Anyone?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jul 25, 2015, 05:13 AM
    Take the old knob with you to Home Depot, Loews or anywhere close that sells fixtures, and knobs and see how the newer ones compare with yours. What's the brand that you have?

Jul 25, 2015, 05:20 AM
    Thx. I don't know the brand. There are no markings anywhere that I can see. I personally think that outer metal piece in the pic needs to come off too.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2015, 08:37 AM
    That is what is called an 8" spread faucet. It has a brass faucet body with separate faucets. Each faucet piece has a base for the stem to screw in, a bonnet nut, a chrome escutcheon that threads over the body and holds it to the sink, a cover cap hides the threads and a handle/knob with a hold down screw and an index button-Hot or cold. You also have washers on this age of faucet-1970's. All of those parts are readily available at HD, Lowe's, Ace or other supply store.

Jul 25, 2015, 09:02 AM
    Thanks for the quick response but what I'm really asking is how do I replace all the outside fittings? The escutcheon, the other metal piece and the knobs? I'm looking for a cosmetic update with the least amount of work.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Self-Diagnosing BPD? [ 4 Answers ]

I've had a really rough last two years, and through online research I discovered I have many of the symptoms of BPD. However, I'm seeking advice because 1.) I know that self-diagnosing yourself based on the internet is not very healthy or useful, and 2.) I wouldn't be able to afford medications...

Need help diagnosing HVAC fireball. [ 1 Answers ]

My HVAC/gas heater made an explosion of some sort yesterday after it was running for a couple hours. When I opened up the panel there wasn't a whole lot of damage, mostly some burnt wires that needed to be replaced. Id like to know what may have caused this fireball before I invest in any parts...

Need He lp Diagnosing An Illness [ 2 Answers ]

:( My cat’s name is Woody. He is an 11 year old indoor cat. His health seems to be in decline. Woody does not appear to be in any sort pain or discomfort. Over the past few months he seems to be eating and drinking less. He’s lost some weight. His energy and activity levels have decreased. He...

Diagnosing memory leak [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am currently trying to troubleshoot a memory leak on a w2k3 server (sp1). Poolmon.exe had identified a tag called "Thre" as leaking! I used the Microsoft memory diagnostic to test the ram on the machine and sure enough it came up with quite a few errors! - Job done I thought - just...

View more questions Search