Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jamlove Posts: 78, Reputation: 2

Apr 10, 2007, 03:48 PM
    What to do about the siding where it meets the ground?
    Hello all.

I am wanting to install cedar shakes as siding. I understand that you don't want siding to be in direct contact with the soil. Typically, I see the foundation walls of the house extending about 10 inches or so above ground; the siding then ends there so it's not in contact with soil.

My foundation is concrete walls up to ground level, with pony walls above that. The concrete foundation does not extend more than an inch or so above grade. Because of this, any siding I install and try to bring down to the concrete will be too close to soil, and I'm afraid it'll rot away.

Short of re-grading my entire lot (which is not an exciting option to say the least), is there a trick I can use?

I considered using some kind of flashing, like metal or even a wide piece of Hardiplank cement board, to form a barrier at that level. The siding could then lap over this, ending 8 to 10 inches from the dirt and be OK.

Any suggestions are appreciated!
    SpecialEd Posts: 30, Reputation: 6

Apr 10, 2007, 09:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jamlove
    Hello all.

I am wanting to install cedar shakes as siding. I understand that you don't want siding to be in direct contact with the soil. Typically, I see the foundation walls of the house extending about 10 inches or so above ground; the siding then ends there so it's not in contact with soil.

My foundation is concrete walls up to ground level, with pony walls above that. The concrete foundation does not extend more than an inch or so above grade. Because of this, any siding I install and try to bring down to the concrete will be too close to soil, and I'm afraid it'll rot away.

Short of re-grading my entire lot (which is not an exciting option to say the least), is there a trick I can use?

I considered using some kind of flashing, like metal or even a wide piece of Hardiplank cement board, to form a barrier at that level. The siding could then lap over this, ending 8 to 10 inches from the dirt and be OK.

Any suggestions are appreciated!
    Set bender board 3 or 4 inches from the house and pour a small skirt. Stop the ceder shingles about an inch above the concrete. If in snow country talk to a local home repair expert.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Durock -taping and where it meets the greenboard in shower [ 4 Answers ]

I am fairly handy but I am having some concerns with the durock I just hung in our tub/shower. I made sure all joints were tight but am a bit confused on what to use to seal those joints. I have heard do not use a premix thinset, that’s fine but I also heard on the site that some people do their...

Open ground when neutral not touching ground [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I was moving around a room and noticed my wife wanted her desk elsewhere. I decided to, since she would have her computer on it, check the outlet she would be moving to. It seemed old so I changed it. I noticed before I changed it that with my GFCI tester, all sockets on this circuit were...

Siding [ 2 Answers ]

I have seen on the TV ads for siding being a certain amoutn per square feet. Without having to call the company I would like to figure out how that would be for my house. Can anyone tell me how they figure square footage. Would it be as simple as the length of the house by the height on each side?...

Siding [ 9 Answers ]

Is there an easy way to take aluminum siding off a house? I need to take a little section off to look underneath there and I am having a hard time. It is nothing like vinyl siding.

View more questions Search