Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bienchi Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2007, 12:00 PM
    Miscarriage at 41
    On jan. 12, 2007 I had a miscarriage at 8 weeks of pregnancy I was 41 yrs old at the time
    I am 42 now and I want to start trying for another pregnancy what are my chances of concieving at this time of my life
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 10, 2007, 12:11 PM
    Let me start by saying that I am sorry for your loss. It must have been hard.

Conception at this age is different for every woman. You should also understand, if you don't know already, the risks of preganancy at this age. I am hoping you understand that you run a higher rate of miscarriage, prenatal diabetes, as well as having a child born with Down's Syndrome.

If indeed you do become pregnant, and I do wish you the best, please do have the amniocentesis that will be offered to you because of your age. I had one done with my last pregnancy (I was 38).

You should discuss your ability to conceive a healthy pregnancy with your doctor. Only s/he knows your health history completely.
    iminlove Posts: 31, Reputation: 5

Apr 10, 2007, 12:24 PM
    Most Doctors have moved the High risk age up to 45. If you are already a healthy active individual pregancy shouldn't be a problem. As far as conceiving we have75 percent less of chance than a woman in her early twenties.
    There are rather effective IVF procedures than can increase your chances.
    Your best option would be to talk to a OB/GYN that you feel comfortable with.
    Good luck!
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 10, 2007, 12:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by iminlove
    Most Doctors have moved the High risk age up to 45.
    When did this happen? As many women are undergoing menopause or perimenopause at this age.

I was high risk at 38, that was 5 years ago. So this must be something new.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Possible miscarriage [ 4 Answers ]

About a month ago I thought I was pregnant because my period was late. The month before that it was late also and in December I did not receive one. I took a pregnancy test late February. The test was negative. Well my "period" came the other day but it is almost 3 weeks early. The "period"...

Miscarriage at 17 [ 6 Answers ]

I miscarried at three weeks a little while back. It has been since November so I thought that everything was over with. The miscarriage really took its toll on me, but I kept busy and tried to push it off. It did bother me though that I continued to have some strange differences in my body. Now...

Miscarriage [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I did a blood test and I was pregnant ,percentage 136 (this test to confirm that I'm pregnant) then I did the test again after 4 days and it was 118! It is should go up not down.. I did a home pregnancy test 4 times already and it shows very thin light in the pregnant box... Does that...

Miscarriage [ 12 Answers ]

Why is miscarriage not considered by many work places or people to be a process of mourning and is bereavement. Some manager at my work told me it does not fall under bereavement because the baby was not alive outside the body.

Miscarriage? [ 4 Answers ]

I got my period on October 23rd and I had it about 6-7 days.Then the last few days when I would go to the bathroom and wipe there would be a brownish red substance on the toilet paper. Then tonight I went to the bathroom my period came back plus the was a blood clot about the size of a quarter....

View more questions Search