Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Shirleyan Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2007, 08:59 PM
    Unearned Revenue
    This entry applies to a company for the month of December, ended 12/31/ 2005.

On January 2005, the company was paid $3,840 in advance to provide monthly service for one year. The company began providing the services on May 1, 2005.

How do record the entry as for the month of December?

Thank you very much!
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Apr 9, 2007, 09:26 PM
    You are given 3,840 for May 1, 2005 – April 30, 2006.

On Jan 1, 2005 when you received it, your JE would have been:
    Dr. Cash 3,840
    Cr. Unearned Revenue 3,840

Every month, starting May 30 and beyond, you record 1/12 of the amount as earned revenue and draw down your liability account.

3,840 x 1 / 12 = 320

December Entry:
    Dr. Unearned Revenue 320
    Cr. Revenue 320
    Shirleyan Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2007, 09:41 PM
    Thank you very much for your time and help!
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Apr 9, 2007, 09:51 PM
    You're welcome

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Unearned Service Revenue STill Unearned. [ 5 Answers ]

If the Trial balance says Unearned Service Revenue Cr. 12,560 The adjusting entry says Unearned Service Revenue still unearned, $800, how do I enter this?

Unearned revenue and hand money held in escrow [ 1 Answers ]

I am doing a accounting software class and needed to set up my own accounts and not use the ones given in peachtree. I have a list of transactions and one of them is a retainer received for 500 and the work is expected to be completed within the month(and then it is) do I need to set up an...

Unearned Revenue Still Unearned [ 1 Answers ]

I have to make an adjusting entry for this: Unearned Service Revenue still Unearned, $800 There is a previous credit balance of 5,300. At first I thought there was no entry, but then when I started to do the income statement the answer I'm suppose to have is not correct with the answer I...

Unearned Rent [ 2 Answers ]

I NEED HELP I have a problem that I am doing for my accounting class. I am trouble with adjusting the unearned rent and rent revenue. In the trial balance ledger: unearned rent 1,200 Adjustment was : the unearned rent on Dec. 31 was 400 How do I calculate this for the work sheet?

Unearned services [ 3 Answers ]

I received a check today for $ 6,000 from providence country club to photograph events held at the club over the next 12 months. This is the journal entry I did, please let me know whether it is correct. Cash 6000 Unearned revenue 6000 This is the final trial balance adusting entry...

View more questions Search