Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jun 26, 2015, 11:36 AM
    I didn't say segregation, I said discrimination.

It's still discrimination, no matter the excuse.
    I am less worried about the baker than I am the employers and hotel clerks.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jun 26, 2015, 11:43 AM
    Some great people down there, let's hope they keep their word:
    Texas Pastor Says He Will Set Himself On Fire In Protest Over Gay Marriage : News : Headlines & Global News

Also, about Canada:
    http://www.buzzfeed.com/daves4/its-l...re#.shlRq52nYy
    Expert

Jun 26, 2015, 12:07 PM
    Nice one NK, maybe they will keep running north, or better, sneak south through the fence to Mexico.
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Jun 26, 2015, 12:56 PM
    Gay marriage? Meh, state's rights no longer exist.
    Expert

Jun 26, 2015, 01:04 PM
    States have no right to discriminate, segregate, or subjugate. Neither does religion.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Jun 26, 2015, 01:08 PM
    I hear the dogs barking again, It's happening all over, must be the election season
    Ultra Member

Jun 26, 2015, 01:11 PM
    States have no right to discriminate, segregate, or subjugate. Neither does religion.
    No, that's the role of the federal government.

Thispractice of constitutional revision by an unelected committeeof nine, always accompanied (as it is today) by extravagantpraise of liberty, robs the People of the most importantliberty they asserted in the Declaration ofIndependence and won in the Revolution of 1776: thefreedom to govern themselves. Scalia
    Ultra Member

Jun 26, 2015, 01:14 PM
    What does that mean speech you are free from the influence of foreign governments? However by treaty you are not free from the influence of the United Nations so you have lost, given up even, the right to govern yourselves
    Ultra Member

Jun 26, 2015, 01:24 PM
    I haven't given up.
    Ultra Member

Jun 26, 2015, 02:45 PM
    No your government did it for you, it's called democracy
    Expert

Jun 26, 2015, 03:08 PM
    Just because we engage and support other countries does not mean we have given up the responsibility to govern ourselves Clete.

That's pretty wild.
    Ultra Member

Jun 26, 2015, 03:25 PM
    No Tal it's not, the UN charter to which you are a signatory requires that you fall in line with their edicts, so if they put forward a standard on the treatment of refugees for example you are expected to comply irrespective of your own laws, same goes for their sanctions this is why you have a veto on the security council, so you cannot be committed to war on a whim. other nations like my own don't have the same get out clause and they make lots of negative noises about a lot of things including internal issues and you have to allow undesirables into your country to attend their meetings
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jun 26, 2015, 03:26 PM
    Yep - give billions to Israel but screw the non-rich americans.
    Ultra Member

Jun 26, 2015, 03:31 PM
    Exactly, but you are not allowed to screw the poor either, it is just the US poor are so much richer than others. If the US wasn't such a big funder they would get much more bad comment from the UN
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jun 26, 2015, 05:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    I didn't say segregation, I said discrimination.

I am less worried about the baker than I am the employers and hotel clerks.
    did you not say "You wouldn't go for separate water fountains as a compromise would you? " That is right out of pre-civil rights segregation.

There will be a rash of court cases where the homosexual community will try to punish those who are unaccepting of their "marriage " .As has been shown where states already had homosexual "marriage " statutes ,they play scorched earth on people who have religious objections to participating in their rituals .Now they will have the full weight of Federal law to use as a weapon.
    Expert

Jun 26, 2015, 05:56 PM
    Refusing services to gay customers, is the same mindset as in those pre-segregation days, which are not completely gone or forgotten. They thought they had a right to discriminate back then too, and all were good christians I am sure.

The affected minority is the only difference in this case, but to many it makes no difference. Why shouldn't gays and any minorities have the full legal protection of the court to address the legal chicaneries thats has been practiced against them? Geez there are state that still ban interracial marriages, as well as different races attending the same schools.

Redlining in housing still goes on too Tom, and I remind you of the SCOTUS ruling yesterday for housing discrimination. Naw guy, religious freedom by a few is the new excuse to make yourself superior, and someone else inferior.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jun 26, 2015, 06:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    Refusing services to gay customers, is the same mindset as in those pre-segregation days, which are not completely gone or forgotten. They thought they had a right to discriminate back then too, and all were good christians I am sure.

The affected minority is the only difference in this case, but to many it makes no difference. Why shouldn't gays and any minorities have the full legal protection of the court to address the legal chicaneries thats has been practiced against them? Geez there are state that still ban interracial marriages, as well as different races attending the same schools.

Redlining in housing still goes on too Tom, and I remind you of the SCOTUS ruling yesterday for housing discrimination. Naw guy, religious freedom by a few is the new excuse to make yourself superior, and someone else inferior.
    Actually Tal is isnt the same. And if you cant see that then your blind. There is a clear line for religious freedom and your side wants to destroy it by force. How come your side neglects to mention the other religions that are against gay marriage? There are after all 2 other ones out there that form a majorty status besides Christians.

Why does your side want to live in the past and reject the future until everyone is destroyed ? Doesnt make sense to me that anyone should give up their freedom so easily as to follow like sheeple to the slaughterhouse.

Do you really think the U.S. is no longer or can be a melting pot where everyone has rights and can get along.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 26, 2015, 06:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cdad View Post
    Doesnt make sense to me that anyone should give up their freedom so easily as to follow like sheeple to the slaughterhouse.
    Who's giving up freedom?
    Do you really think the U.S. is no longer or can be a melting pot where everyone has rights and can get along.
    So now the US ISN'T a melting pot?
    Expert

Jun 26, 2015, 06:46 PM
    Letting gays get married doesn't take away your freedom at all, if so how? Most people don't even care, and gays are AMERICANS too!!
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jun 26, 2015, 07:03 PM
    The affected minority is the only difference in this case, but to many it makes no difference
    There is a huge difference between not serving homosexuals and not being compelled to participate in a ceremony that one has religious objections to. Stop trying to blur the distinction I already told you that there is a difference between not selling a cake to a homosexual because that person is a homosexual (which would meet your definition of discrimination ) and being forced to provide a "wedding " cake for that person's wedding . If you can compel the baker to do that then you can just as easily compel a minister to perform the service .
    Tell me something . Do you think a Christian adoption service should be required to adopt a child to a homosexual couple despite their objection ?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

SCOTUS decisions [ 158 Answers ]

Two unanimous decisions today, SCOTUS ruled Obama's LRB appointments were unconstitutional. Apparently they all agreed Congress determines when it is in recess. On another front, they unanimously agreed that Massachusetts'' 35 foot buffer zone around abortion clinics was unconstitutional....

SCOTUS to hear the case of Obamacare vs American liberty tomorrow [ 237 Answers ]

Over 3 days the Supreme Court will hear 6 hours of oral argument about the Constitutionality of Obama Care (aka the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act).Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act It unfortunately will not be televised ;but transcripts and audio tape will be made available...

Acorn and SCOTUS [ 29 Answers ]

What's this I'm hearing? Did the SCOTUS really decline to force the AG of Ohio to verify 200,000 new suspect voter registrations? Most were submitted by ACORN, it seems. Have we reached the place when a partisan AG and Governor can support voter fraud in order for their guy to be elected, and NOT...

More SCOTUS decisions [ 24 Answers ]

Chief Justice Roberts said, "The way to stop discrimination on the basis of race is to stop discriminating on the basis of race." Wasn't that refreshing? Clarence Thomas added, "What was wrong in 1954 cannot be right today... The plans before us base school assignment decisions on students'...

View more questions Search