Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Crissygirl86 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2007, 06:24 AM
    Interracial dating
    I'm doing a paper on interracial dating and different religious beliefs on the topic... any help??
    Thank you
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 8, 2007, 08:17 AM
    Hello we just finished a thread on this a week or so ago, if you go up into the search area on this site, I am sure you will find several threads already done about this subject.

But to sum it all up, Christianity has no beleifs on it, It addresses inter faith marriage. Since in bible days marriages were normally arranged, even dating is not well addressed, except for staying pure before marriage.

But there are a few examples of interracial marriage in the bible, so in general there is no rules against it, examples of it.
    homesell Posts: 244, Reputation: 43

Jun 10, 2009, 11:56 AM

Since there is only one race, the human race, inter-racial dating would mean dating someone not human. The Bible forbids that. All of us are descended from Adam and all have different amounts of melanin which causes the skin color to be lighter or darker. So, as long as you're planning on dating a human, the Bible doesn't forbid it. (Though like Fr_chuck said, the bible doesn't mention "dating" at all since that is a relatively new idea.
    revdrgade Posts: 162, Reputation: 37

Jun 11, 2009, 11:55 AM
    The only real racial distinction made by God is between "His" children (Those who know Him as their God) and the children of the "world/man/the devil".

Even there He doesn't forbid it in all cases but gives us plenty of reasons and examples not to do it.

Ge 6:1-3
    6:1 When men began to increase in number on the earth and daughters were born to them, to the sons of God saw that the daughters of men were beautiful, and they married any of them they chose. 3 Then the Lord said, "My Spirit will not contend with man forever, for he is mortal; his days will be a hundred and twenty years."
    NIV

2 Co 6:14-15

14 Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness? 15 What harmony is there between Christ and Belial? What does a believer have in common with an unbeliever?
    NIV

1 Co 7:12-16

12 To the rest I say this (I, not the Lord): If any brother has a wife who is not a believer and she is willing to live with him, he must not divorce her. 13 And if a woman has a husband who is not a believer and he is willing to live with her, she must not divorce him. 14 For the unbelieving husband has been sanctified through his wife, and the unbelieving wife has been sanctified through her believing husband. Otherwise your children would be unclean, but as it is, they are holy.

15 But if the unbeliever leaves, let him do so. A believing man or woman is not bound in such circumstances; God has called us to live in peace. 16 How do you know, wife, whether you will save your husband? Or, how do you know, husband, whether you will save your wife?
    NIV

Ge 24:37-38
    37 And my master made me swear an oath, and said, 'You must not get a wife for my son from the daughters of the Canaanites, in whose land I live, 38 but go to my father's family and to my own clan, and get a wife for my son.'
    NIV

Ge 28:1-2
    28:1 So Isaac called for Jacob and blessed him and commanded him: "Do not marry a Canaanite woman.
    NIV
    arcura Posts: 3,773, Reputation: 191
    Ultra Member

Jun 13, 2009, 12:25 AM
    I must agree with what everyone has said about this subject here so far.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jun 16, 2009, 07:23 PM

I was taught that Moses married a black woman.
    Ultra Member

Jun 16, 2009, 10:03 PM
    N0help4u,
    As far as I know from the bible she may have been black or some other color.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred
    Uber Member

Jun 17, 2009, 03:55 AM

From what I understand Moses married a daughter or descendant of Ham. The Bible says he was the first black man (at least some translations). She was from Ethiopia or Cush.
    homesell Posts: 244, Reputation: 43

Jun 17, 2009, 04:40 AM
    White supremists have maintained the so-called "black" race is due to the so-called "curse of Ham" Read Genesis 9:24-28 and you will see that Ham was not cursed then, or ever,(his son Canaan was) and skin color had nothing to do with the curse anyway.
    Moses DID marry a cush*ite, or Ethiopian(as the peoples are called nowadays) but the Bible says nothing about skin color. Moses' brother and sister were upset with him not because he married a possibly darker skinned woman but because they thought he should marry an Israelite.
    The warnings in the Bible against "being unequally yoked","teaming up", "partnering" or marrying are against believer and non-believer as revdrgrade said - never anything to do with skin color.
    Ultra Member

Jun 17, 2009, 09:16 PM
    I agree with Jeff, but it to me it makes no difference what color of skin the wife of Moses had.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred
    Uber Member

Jun 18, 2009, 03:51 AM

The difference it makes to me is if Moses did have an inter racial marriage it shows exactly HOW WRONG the white supremacists are AND by judging interracial marriages they condemn Moses.
    Ultra Member

Jun 18, 2009, 09:24 PM
    N0help4u,
    Your point is well made.
    Fred

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Interracial Dating [ 9 Answers ]

Is there a bible passage that states interracial dating is prohibited?

Not really dating [ 8 Answers ]

There is this guy I like, and he sits next to me in english, and is in my extra help class. I think he used to like me and I really like him. He is going out with this other girl, and he seems to still like me, but I'm not actually sure. Can you give me some help?

From dating to friends to dating? [ 3 Answers ]

Here's my problem. I met this guy about 9 months ago. After only going out a couple of times we started dating. It only lasted for about a month and he ended it saying he didn't think we had enough in common. Since then we have become best friends and spend a lot of time together. But we are...

View more questions Search