Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    moyenda Posts: 73, Reputation: 3

Sep 15, 2014, 05:46 AM
    From Windows 7 to 8
    Hi Guys,
    got a windows 7 installed by SCCM- the idea is to upgrade to windows 8 obviously x64. Is there a way to accomplish this with the same user settings transferred? At my disposal I have the win7.win and win8.win- No access to the SCCM.

!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 15, 2014, 12:51 PM
    If you do an upgrade instead of a clean install that should be carried over.
    moyenda Posts: 73, Reputation: 3

Sep 16, 2014, 06:40 AM
    Yah, was looking rather for maybe a tool that would facilitate the carry over for my apps- since they're 32-Bit on win7.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 16, 2014, 09:43 AM
    32 bit apps will run fine under a 64 bit OS. If you want to convert to a 64 bit version of an app you will need to reinstall.
    InfoJunkie4Life Posts: 1,409, Reputation: 81
    Ultra Member

Sep 16, 2014, 10:56 AM
    All of your files and any applicable settings are carried over in an upgrade. Drivers and programs are for the most part carried over as well. Not everything is necessarily compatible with Windows 8 however, you can use the Compatibility Checker to scan your computer and determine what issues you may encounter before you proceed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I change windows 7 home premium 64 bit to windows xp interface [ 1 Answers ]

Can I change windows 7 home premium 64 bit to windows xp interface

I have windows Vista, and I can't open files designated to Windows Media Center? [ 9 Answers ]

I have Windows Vista, which came with this computer, And occasionally get files from my daughter's school designated to Windows Media Center, which I can't open in anything. There seems to be nowhere to open it in Media Center, but when I click it... that's where it takes me. Very frustrating.

Retrieve Windows XP key but Windows won't boot [ 3 Answers ]

I have an HP machine that has had the case replaced (meaning the sticker is no longer stuck to the side of the case.) It also didn't come with any media (the restore partition is corrupted.) All I need to do to fix the booting problem is run a repair but I cannot get into Windows to retrieve the...

Email sending prob. In windows vista using windows mail [ 1 Answers ]

I am having problem in sending emails in windows mail in vista. Up to yesterday, it was working fine. I have deleted and created the account again. Email address,pwd, pop n smtp etc everything is correct but email are not going. There is genuine windows vista with Mecafee. No problem with incoming...

View more questions Search