Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CalliesMom Posts: 3, Reputation: 0

Apr 5, 2007, 02:30 PM
    Cat Attacked Dog
    Hi,

My 11 month old cat, just gave birth to 4 kittens almost 3 three weeks ago. Just the other day she attacked my 11 year old dog(terri-poo - small breed). We thought maybe something startled her but then yesterday she did the same thing. Just came out of no where and attacked a sleeping dog.

Does anyone know why she is doing this? She has never been anything but pleasant.

Thanks!
    CalliesMom
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 5, 2007, 03:15 PM
    Its because she has kittens she feels she has to protect. Is the dog sleeping near the kittens?
    If so, this is the reason. Have patience with her, she is only doing what she perceives to be her duty protecting her young. The dog will survive.

Apr 5, 2007, 04:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle
    Its because she has kittens she feels she has to protect. Is the dog sleeping near the kittens?
    If so, this is the reason. Have patience with her, she is only doing what she perceives to be her duty protecting her young. The dog will survive.

No the dog was sleeping in the livingroom and the cat and her kittens are in the bathroom(where she gave birth). She has also just attacked our male cat(father of the young). Will she stop attacking when the kittens are weaned?
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Apr 5, 2007, 06:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CalliesMom
    No the dog was sleeping in the livingroom and the cat and her kittens are in the bathroom(where she gave birth). She has also just attacked our male cat(father of the young). Will she stop attacking when the kittens are weaned?
    Most probably. But, if she keeps this up, it would be wise to get her spayed to even out her temperament. Spayed kitties are much more loving and docile, and you don't have to deal with all the craziness that occurs when they go into heat. You also might want to consider getting your male neutered as well. Reduces spraying and makes for a more docile cat as well. I hope that you have found responsible homes for your kittens. All too often, I have seen people take kittens and when they grow into cats they just dump them as if they were trash. Same for dogs. There really are people out there who just don't grasp that it is wrong. Very upsetting for those of us who work with rescues. There are over 10,000,000 animals that are euthanized in the United States every year for lack of homes. I don't know where you live, but I am sure the stats are just as depressing in other countries.
    Jessyfay Posts: 164, Reputation: 4

Apr 6, 2007, 09:33 AM
    Please Spay and Neuter your pets not only for there health but because the world is already filled with cats and dogs without homes, what's the point adding more?
    Next time go to the shelter if you want to play with kitties.
    For now I would give her space, and maybe move the mum and kits to there own separate bedroom, where the dog has no access, and keep the dog and her away from each other, She's only protecting her young and feels like the dog is a threat so keep her kits as far as you can away from the dog.
    Give it time, when the kits get older, she'll stop the attacks , but for now your dog has to live with it
    I hope you will take her in for post natel care and make sure all the kits get there shots
    Jessyfay Posts: 164, Reputation: 4

Apr 6, 2007, 09:37 AM
    GGRRRR! It makes me so upset and angry when I read posts like this.
    I volunteer at a cat shelter, the shelter is in a heated garage that a nice woman let's us use. The spca society is full of cats and have no room so we get the cats and kittens that would have been put down. Currently we have 14 adults, 2 seniors and 2 litter of kittens without homes and that is just in my small suburb. I have one cat Venus who has been in the sheltor for 4 years, can you imagine, the poor thing knows when there are new faces that come in, she knows, when she finally get's attached to another cat friend and than watches them leave, because they got adopted and she didn't, she knows, and it really breaks my heart. She doesn't even try anymore when people come, or Emma, another cat who has been in and out of the sheltor for 3 years. What a horrible life for an animal. Why add more to that?
    I just don't understand

Anybody reading this and is thinking of having a litter of kittens, PLEASE, visit a couple of animal sheltors and see where those kits might end up. That will change your mind, it did for me

Apr 6, 2007, 09:58 AM
    I didn't post this question to make people mad. We have tried to move the kittens into another room but she moves them back to the bathroom. The mother cat is all up to date on her shots as is our male and her getting pregnant was a complete accident. She was scheduled to be spayed and the male to be neutered when we found out she was already 21 days pregnant, and I didn't have the heart to abort the babies.

This only reason why I asked for help is because my dog is 11 years old and suffers from severe seizures and the cat has NEVER done this before now. The dog with in the room when she gave birth, so it was kind of out of the ordinary.

Yes we have homes for the kittens. They will only be 3 weeks old tomorrow
    mrscoltweaver Posts: 240, Reputation: 20

Apr 6, 2007, 11:07 AM
    All soapboxes aside... This kitty's got some raging hormones and a bunch of little people sucking on her (ouch!) When the kittens are gone (hormones, too) see should go back to the cat you knew!
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Apr 6, 2007, 01:12 PM
    Mrsc, I need to spread it (greenies) before I can give you another. Calliesmom, if you can't move the kittens for now, just try to keep your dog as far away as you can from Momma cat. It doesn't matter that the dog is far away. Momma is letting the dog know that she resents his presence. Period.

You will have to forgive Jessyfay and me for jumping on our soapboxes. It is so heartbreaking seeing what we see every day. It is a shame that you couldn't get her spayed in time. I am glad that you have found good homes for the kittens. I am assuming you are taking your cues from your vet, so you know that it is safe after the kittens reach 8 weeks old to adopt them out. As mrsc states, after the kittens are gone, your Momma should revert back to her old self. As soon as the kittens are fully weaned, make arrangements to get her spayed. If you haven't already done so, please get the male neutered now. It is the only way to ensure that he doesn't "catch" her again before you have a chance to get her spayed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adopted 3 yr old dog frightening my cat! [ 5 Answers ]

I have just adopted a 3 yr old yellow lab from the humane society. He's a beautiful dog, but he is constantly chasing my cat from one end of the house to the other and driving us all crazy. The cat has not eaten since he's been in the house. Any suggestions as to how I get these (2) to get along?

Dog marks because of new cat [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have a beagle mix and everything in his little world was fine, until my roommate decided to adopt a cat from the humane society. Now my dog is defecating in my roommate's bedroom on the floor or urinating on his bedroom door. The cat sleeps in his room with him. How do I get my dog to...

Help! I was attacked by a bouncer at a night club. [ 7 Answers ]

Last night when I was out minding my own business and having fun at a night club, I was pushed to the ground by a bouncer in the night club and hit repeatedly before being kicked out of the establishment. I have a number of witnesses that can vouch that I was completely sober and in control. ...

Cat and dog help! [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, my family have a 6 month old beagle puppy and 3 cats. Well, my dog goes after the oldest cat, scruffy. She will hit him in the mouth(by the way she has nof ront claws) and he likes it. He will chase her but will not bite her. He will also go after the other cat cuddles who we just got. She...

Dog eatting cat droppinig [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, my brother has a Sheltie which is two years old. My brother brings his dog to our house quite a bit. He lives just two houses down and doesn't like taking care of the dog so he brings him here for us to watch. The dog is sweet. We have three cats and another dog. The Sheltie will get into the...

View more questions Search