Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Another_Planet Posts: 18, Reputation: 3

Mar 27, 2014, 11:24 PM
    Saying I love you first
    Hello Everyone!

I have gotten very good advice here in the past, and now I am in need of advice again.

I have been dating my boyfriend for about 10 months, and I have no doubt that I am in love with him. I have known this for the last 3 months, but neither of us has said it yet. He can be a bit emotionally distant at times and does not express his feelings often. I am sick of keeping it bottled up, but I am 99% sure he will not say it back.

Here's another problem. He is moving away to another continent for a year long contract, and we are not staying together. He is moving in a month. However, we agreed to keep in touch and if we still want to be together a year from then we will look for each other. There's a part of me that doesn't want to break up, I am not ready for it, which is why I want to tell him how I feel and bring up the possibility of a long distance relationship of some sort.

I feel like I should tell him because either way, I will lose him a month from now, and it doesn't feel right to be in a relationship that is unequal. I feel like I am more emotionally invested, so I question whether it is healthy to stay together for the last month if I feel so strongly and have so many feelings bottled up and he doesn't reciprocate. Maybe it is good for him to know because it may start making him think about how he feels about me, and consider staying together. And maybe it's good for me to be honest with him so we can have an honest and open conversation about the relationship and whether it is a good idea to stay together given how emotionally invested I am.

When he told me about him moving, he said "I realize I haven't been able to fully commit myself to you, I am in a rut in my life and something has been holding me back from fully commiting. I have loved a girl before." This is how I know he will not reciprocate, he is simply not ready in his life to love me.

I've come to realize recently that I've never been in love before, not before him, and saying I love you first is such a vulnerable position to put yourself in. I realize I will probably get rejected. Life is short though, shouldn't we tell the ones we love that we love them? On the other hand, why deliberately cause myself the pain of rejection?

I appreciate any insights and perspectives you have
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 30, 2014, 01:55 PM
    When choosing between the fear of hurt and rejection, and the expression of love, express the love and all that comes with it. Neither of you is ready for the inevitable changes you must cope with, and adjust too. But the thing is the honest expression.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I just want my girlfriend to love me again, I love her but she doesn't love me anymore [ 34 Answers ]

3 moths ago, I broke up with my girlfriend for no reason at all. And for the past 2 months she tried and tried to make me go back to her. But I didn't give her a chance. That was the biggest mistake in my life. And then as time passes, we just don't get along anymore, and I keep pushing her away...

Lyrics to she don't love me she love my doggy style in the back of the four door [ 2 Answers ]

She don't love me She love my doggy style In the back of the four door She said you know you drive me wild She don't love me She love my doggy style

I love a boy who love me earlier but now he hates me but I still love him [ 13 Answers ]

I love a boy who love me earlier but now he hates me but I still love him... Because of some misunderstanding and maybe he got bored.. I myself don't know the real reason ... but I still love him... how can I get him back...

Behind the scenes worker falls in love with a woman competing for a mans love [ 1 Answers ]

What movie is about how a woman competes to win the love of a bachelor on a TV show then falls in love with one of the workers?

Love, understanding love, types of love [ 12 Answers ]

I thought this would be interesting to discuss. We all use love so much, we could say we love someone, then the next moment, we say we love our car, or wed love a big mac. I was watching this interesting video, in which this guy explained that the hebrews had 3 words for love. Raya- friendship...

View more questions Search