Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Coolhandluke31 Posts: 71, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2014, 08:51 PM
    What kind of wrench to use?
    Hi- the plumber installed a polished chrome shower head in my bathroom. Water leaks out of the fitting. He was isn't interested in coming back to take care of this. I want to take it off and re-tape and tighten myself but I don't know what tool/wrench to loosen and tighten the head without scratching the polished chrome. Is there a particular wrench that is used? It seems I need something with a rubber coating.

Thanks...
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Feb 21, 2014, 08:58 PM
    Does shower head have a couple of flat sides on it?

Feb 21, 2014, 09:04 PM
    Yes- It is a Kohler Devonshire.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Feb 21, 2014, 09:05 PM
    Use an adjustable wrench, won't scratch.

Feb 21, 2014, 09:07 PM
    Thanks- I appreciate the answer. I don't want to mess up the shower head.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 21, 2014, 09:08 PM
    Hi CHL31

If your shower head has a couple flat sides like Hkstroud asked about then you should be able to use a crescent wrench (see image) to remove the shower head. If you don't have any flat surfaces on the shower head you can always purchase a strap wrench (rubber coated like you mentioned is common)...see image.

Good luck!

Mark
    Attached Images

Feb 21, 2014, 09:34 PM
    Thanks Mark- I do have that adjustable wrench.

Feb 22, 2014, 03:43 PM
    I did use the adjustable wrench. Put new Teflon, and tightened. Still spit water, just a little less. Used a little more Teflon, tightened to the point where I don't want to break the nut. Still spits just a bit. Very frustrating. I left a message insisting the plumber come back. He tells me I may need to swap out the head and piece that go into the wall.

If they were new out of the box, I have never used the shower and he installed it and in theory tested the connection, how could this be? I don't want to be a pain, but I know he left the first time without testing.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 22, 2014, 06:06 PM
    It certainly doesn't sound like it was tested as the dripping would have been noticed when testing. Regardless at this point, it sounds like the shower head has a hairline crack and probably needs to be replaced.

If you purchased the kohler faucet, the shower head should be under warranty. A quick call over to kohler telling them that the shower head is cracked and you need a new one should be all that is needed to get a new head shipped out to you ASAP (do not tell them more than needed here). After you get the new head, the plumber can return to install it, or if he is going to charge you, I'm sure you can install it yourself quick enough at this point!

If the plumber purchased the faucet, remind him that the valve is under warranty and that the shower head should be provided to you at no cost...installation is between you and him and whether he wants you for a customer in the future, or not!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 22, 2014, 06:16 PM
    I will add some legal advice, who cares if the plumber does not want to come out. If he did not do the job properly, he has to come out and fix it.

Reminders of complaints on local service boards, and even suing him for a refund in small claims court. I hate poor service and will often work twice as hard to make a service person do it right
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 22, 2014, 06:53 PM
    I don't think your legal advice will hold much water, Fr_Chuck.

Here, because the "customer" touched the shower head (removed and reinstalled the shower head), the plumber can argue that it is the customer that broke the shower head and not him/her. Had Luke left the shower head alone, he might have a case for the courts should the plumber not respond, but because it was touched Luke cannot honestly say that he didn't damage anything, for sure!

Never mind that this is only a shower head that is under warranty. I say you pick your fights in life, and this fight isn't worth a "plug nickel" in terms of energy, gas, time, etc. I'm a stand on your principles guy myself, but not over a warrantied shower head...just not worth the aggravation!

Mark

Feb 24, 2014, 12:07 PM
    Maybe I will try to get the plumbing supply house to swap it. The problem is I bought the unit at the end of December. I didn't use the shower sooner because I was waiting for the glass door to be installed. It was a custom door and took some times to get.

Feb 24, 2014, 12:08 PM
    Picture
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 24, 2014, 04:03 PM
    The plumbing supply house should understand that as they deal with people on long projects all the time, and like I said, it is only a shower head, so I'd be surprised if they put up much of a fight!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Plug Wrench? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm looking for a brass plug and/or flush plug wrench. I've never seen one, but I'm sure somebody makes one somewhere, and I thought maybe someone on here would know where I can find one. I've been stuck using the back of my pliers to screw in flush plugs and it's horribly inefficient, also I've...

Basin wrench [ 2 Answers ]

How do I use a basin wrench?

Basin Wrench [ 2 Answers ]

How do you use a basin wrench?

Basin wrench [ 2 Answers ]

How do a use a basin wrench?

Basin wrench [ 6 Answers ]

I know this is a stupid question, but how do you use a basin wrench? I had the hardest time getting my spray hose undetached from under my kitchen sink. I have a basin wrench, it just didn't work for me. What am I doing wrong? [email protected]

View more questions Search