Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wkb2texans Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2007, 07:04 AM
    No air from registers
    My ac unit is running, but there's no air coming out registers. I went to handler (in upstairs closet) and found the exterior to be ice cold, and wet with condensation. The blower motors blowing away, but there's no air coming past the filter. Usually, I have to turn the unit off to remove the filter, but had no problem taking it out as there was no air pressure pushing against it.

I've turned the unit off to let it "thaw," but know I need to figure out what's happening. I saw in another posting that the problem can be a dirty/clogged filter, or dirty coils? I change my filter religiously (monthly) and the one that's in it now is only a couple of weeks old, so that's not the issue. I don't know about the coils... I've lived in the house for 7 years and haven't had the coils cleaned... could that be causing the freeze up/no air coming out?

Wanted to see if this is something I can fix myself, or if I need to call in an expert. Thanks!
    Morrowrj Posts: 345, Reputation: 22

Apr 2, 2007, 08:58 AM
    I would start with cleaning the a-coil. These can sometimes be difficult to access, especially compact models. There is a wide variety of DIY cleaners available. If this is found to be clean or no change they you will need someone to check refrigerant levels/pressures on your unit.

Good Luck,
    Morrowrj
    SuperTyphoon Posts: 85, Reputation: 5

Apr 3, 2007, 08:25 AM
    Your unit is most likely very low on freon. Have a trusted professional check it and see what he says.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No air flow from registers [ 6 Answers ]

I have no airflow from my registers. My compressor is running and my AHU is running. Any idea what the problem could be? I have shut the unit off for now. The problem exists on heat and cool and fan only mode.

Cold Air Registers Blowing Cold Air [ 3 Answers ]

Our cold air registers are blowing cold air worse than if the windows were open. The hot air registers blow cold air but not as forceful (maybe because they are 1/3 the size of the returns) This only happens when the furnace is off and we are heating with the wood stoves. We have metal ducting...

Furnace motor runs but no air coming from registers [ 11 Answers ]

Have a Goodman GUPS 100-3 Furnace. I can hear the motor turn on when the temp goes below where the thermostat is set - but no air is being blown through the vents. (I have a forced air systerm.) The vents are OK since my air conditioning unit goes through the same vents. The pilot light stays on...

Air registers [ 2 Answers ]

I have a problem with condensation on only one of my air registers. This register is in the ceiling and it is in a nonused bathroom with no windows. It has just started this about 2 weeks ago (it is 4 1/2 years old). I was wondering why this has happened and how to stop it? Thank you, Lisa

No air from several registers [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, My house was built in 1990. I have no air coming from the registers in the upstairs bedrooms. My ducting is in the attic. I have examined it several times for air leaks and haven't been able to find any. Is it possible that the wrong size ducts were used for the upstairs, significantly...

View more questions Search