Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cjcdallas Posts: 63, Reputation: 6

Mar 31, 2007, 06:38 PM
    Dimming lights a safety issue?
    Folks,
    My lights dim when we run the vacuum, carpet cleaner or any other bigger appliance. I have seen lights dim before and then fade back on to normal after a few seconds. Ours do not do that, they simply dim and stay that way until you turn off the device...
    Question... Is this a problem or shoul dI not worry about it?
    Thanks,
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Mar 31, 2007, 07:26 PM
    The large load causing the lights to dim is an indication of a low voltage issue, which may be caused by a loose connection somewhere in the electrical system.

This may require an electrician to check the panel, breakers, connections, meter, and may need the utility to check their connections and equipment to find and repair the loose or corroded connection.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Apr 1, 2007, 03:54 PM
    You know, my apartment does this, and I never gave it any thought other than it being a 60+ year old building with only 3 or 4 circuits (fuses) per apartment. It's only noticeable if I have a lot of incandescent lights on and run the vacuum, or something. Perhaps I will take a look at it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

'93 Civic Dashboard lights / Speedometer issue [ 14 Answers ]

Greetings all, so here's the problem. I have a 1993, Honda Civic SI, Canadian Built. I bought it 2nd hand last year. It has an ongoing problem with the Dashboard lights and speedometer. - Dashboard lights - sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. Will be driving along, and all the guages...

Dimming doesn't work on either Hampton Bay fan [ 3 Answers ]

Hi: I purchased 2 ceiling fans to install into a renovation with all new wiring. Fan #1 came with a built in remote. Fan #2 did not come with a remote, I bought the $30 handheld remote and had it wired in during installation. Both remotes turn each respective fan on and off at the 3 speeds....

Dimming a Ceiling Fan Light [ 1 Answers ]

We have Hampton Bay ceiling fans installed on double (bipole) switches. Is there a way to use the existing wiring to provide separate control for the fan and the lights so we can put a dimmer on the lights? Or is there another way to dim the lights - would a remote do this?

Dimming by pull chain the ceiling fan lights [ 1 Answers ]

I have no wall switch for my ceiling fan lights or the fan itself. I wish to find a 3 position pull chain light switch so I can have OFF, FULL AND DIM for the lights. For DIM I would put a IN 4003 diode in series with that position wire. - That would give me 1/2 dimming. My problem is: I can't find...

Light dimming problem with Hampton Bay fan [ 1 Answers ]

I recently installed a Hampton Bay ceiling fan which has a remote. When sleeping we run the fan without the light. My problem is that when all wall switches are on, but the light is turned off with the remote, the light will sometimes come on in the middle of the night. Also, when you turn the...

View more questions Search