Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NonnaX Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2013, 10:45 PM
    Pet deposit
    I paid a non refundable pet deposit in NV. The landlord is claiming $250.00 in pet damage and taking from the security deposit. Can they do that?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Nov 17, 2013, 03:19 AM
    Yes. Apparently the pet damage was greater than the pet deposit.
    Landlords need to provide receipts that show work done to repair damage, however, and since the $250 is beyond the pet deposit amount, he needs to show receipts for the full amount of both. I assume that this involves urine soaked flooring, which is expensive to fix. The urine gets into the wood subfloor, not just whatever is covering it.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 17, 2013, 03:28 AM
    A deposit is to protect the landlord from damages, it doesn't limit your liability to the amount of the damages. If the damages are greater than the amount of the deposit, then, of course, the landlord is entitled to deduct from the security deposit. If the combined deposits don't cover the damages, he can bill you for that amount and sue if you don't pay.

The only caveat here is he needs to prove the cost of the damages with receipts or estimates for the work.
    NonnaX Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2013, 09:48 AM
    Deposits
    Can I ask for receipts to prove security deposit prior to going to small claims court? Ex landlord had $300 pet deposit they are not using, taking $250 from security deposit. Also charging $150 in random charges and cleaning. The home was cleaned, I have photos to prove!
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Nov 17, 2013, 12:24 PM
    Most of what is ok to charge back or not depends on local law. Also how long did you live in the home?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Nov 17, 2013, 01:02 PM
    If you paid a pet deposit and do not have the receipt, that would indeed be an appropriate subject of discovery. Discovery is allowed in small claims only in some jurisdictions, however.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 17, 2013, 01:59 PM
    First, please don't create multiple threads over the same issue. I merged your threads (under the appropriate forum). Please post any follow-up as a response to this thread.

If the landlord does not return your full deposit, he has to give you a full accounting of how the deposit was used. If you plan on disputing his charges you can ask for proof of them.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Nov 17, 2013, 02:06 PM
    Give 7 days to provide copies of receipts, then file the small claim if none. If you win, you get awarded the fee.
    Some people don't pay anyway, however.
    LILL Posts: 212, Reputation: 15

Nov 17, 2013, 04:35 PM
    I think you should read your lease. There is a VERY big difference between a pet deposit and a pet fee. What is the exact clause in your lease?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pet deposit refund/pet dies [ 3 Answers ]

If the pet dies when is the deposit returned?

Pet deposit [ 0 Answers ]

Is it required by California law for a landlord to sanitize an apartment after a tenant has a pet? My landlord returned most of my deposit stating they cleaned the carpets now he won't return the pet deposit until he goes back In and sanitize it. Is that right? I already paid to have the carpets...

Pet rent and pet deposit for medical companion [ 4 Answers ]

If you have a companion dog for medical reasons and live in a pet friendly apartment complex, by law are they allowed to charge monthly pet rent and a pet security deposit?

Pet Deposit or Pet Fee in Rental Agreement [ 2 Answers ]

Is there a maximum amount to charge for a pet when renting an apartment in the state of Georgia? Should the pet fee be refundable or non-refundable?

Pet Deposit [ 12 Answers ]

I am currently renting a house in Kentucky, and my sister brings her (3) small dogs over to my house when she comes to visit & also when she works. My sister works long hours some evenings & my (2) teenagers let the dogs out when they get home from school (we call it doggie daycare) it just keeps...

View more questions Search