Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AnyoneKnow Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 30, 2007, 06:49 AM
    Divorce and Disabled
    Ok.. can't find this anywhere on your site. My husband and I live in upstate NY. He has decided he wants a divorce. This is after I have lived with his cheating throughout our 30 year marriage because of our kids. Since our kids have moved on.. we have stayed together due to the grand kids. Yes.. I love him.. but we have a lot of issues from the past that just won't go away. Including him trying to sleep with my SONS girlfriend a couple years back. I got the "I'm sorry".. and the "I love you and will never do it again bit." I stayed because we are both totally disabled. Him from work.. myself from a car accident that HE caused!

Now.. here's my question. He's on Workmans Comp and Social Secuity Disability. He gets $1262.00 a month from Comp and $1190.00 a month from SSD. I get a lousy $200.00 a month from SSD. I had been doing day care for my daughter for 6 years prior to the car accident which dropped my income drastically compared to what I received as a hairdresser. My husband SAYS.. that he contacted his lawyer and was told I would only receive an $800.00 a month compensation for spousal support off his SSD.. but I couldn't touch any of his other money and the judge would not force him to pay anything else.

We bought a house 2 years ago <after I cleared up all his credit with my SSD payments> and have a lot of other debt. Can anyone advise me from here on what my legal rights are? I called a few lawyers but most want over a thousand dollars to represent me in my case. I could really use some help here.

Thank you in advance.
    iluvky Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2007, 05:25 PM
    I am kind of in your spot. I've been married for 20 years to a cheating husband and now he's moved out and gets military retirement, he has a job and I get NOTHING from him. He does pay the house note. That's it. I have get nothing but SSD.
    AnyoneKnow Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2007, 05:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by iluvky
    I am kinda in your spot. I've been married for 20 years to a cheating husband and now he's moved out and gets military retirement, he has a job and I get NOTHING from him. He does pay the house note. That's it. I have get nothing but SSD.
    Thank you for answering my post. I am so sorry you are in this situation. Since my post my husband has come back on bended knee.. however.. I'm not so gullible. He wants to stay with me.. but I want security. We have filed for legal separation with him giving me half of his total income... including half of the profit if we ever sell our home. This will now protect me if he ever starts his crap again. I have come out lucky.. I hope you do too.

I pray things get better for you.. and hope someone answers our question so that it may help you as well.

Hugs,
    A friend

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Recently Disabled [ 1 Answers ]

I am about to turn 43 and recently became disabled.I am now collecting workers comp and social security.I am no longer able to contribute to my 401k because I am no longer employed but would like to keep investing.Can I roll my 401k into an IRA or do I have to be employed to contribute to an IRA ?...

Recently disabled [ 4 Answers ]

I don't work anymore but still have a 401K @ my last job, Will a disable person still be taxed, if so what would be the best thing for me to do with my 401K. Thanks for your help. Bobbie

TV Remote Disabled [ 9 Answers ]

I recentky decided to upgrade my cable to digital. The upgrade required the use of a universal remote to operate the box that distributes the signal. The problem I have now is that I was not happy with the digital cable and deceided to go back to regular cable but now the remote that belongs to the...

View more questions Search