Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    adgpinson Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2007, 01:27 PM
    Debt collectors refusing to take payment
    I know Texas has a law saying that if you are paying at least $20 a month that the debt collector has to accept it or the debt is paid in full. I live in New Mexico and want to know if New Mexico has the same law or one similar to it. I am just getting back on my feet and I have a company that is refusing any amount except what they set and I can't come up with that much in 2 days. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 29, 2007, 03:34 PM
    Hello ad:

Sorry, dude! Ain't no such law. What the law DOES say, is that if you are in violation of your agreement with the lender, he can sue you for every stinkin penny, plus court costs, and attorney's fees.

He doesn't have to accept anything. If you go to court, you'll lose. He'll get a judgment, which is a free pass to your bank accounts and your HR department. They'll seize your accounts and garnish your paycheck.

Ok, in Texas, they can't garnish your paycheck, but they certainly get your bank accounts and any other property they find. And, they will too.

excon

PS> Bummer. I see that you're not in Texas now. Too bad, Dude.
    finessed1 Posts: 36, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2007, 03:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by adgpinson
    i know texas has a law saying that if you are paying at least $20 a month that the debt collector has to accept it or the debt is paid in full. I live in new mexico and want to know if New Mexico has the same law or one similar to it. I am just getting back on my feet and I have a company that is refusing any amount except what they set and I can't come up with that much in 2 days. any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Send whatever you can and save your receipts. 9 out of 10 they will accept it. It's just those man-handling bill collectors that try to scare you into paying more so that more money is in their pockets. The worst they will do is send it back to you, but at least you've shown effort which can go a long way. And just think of the bright side... if they keep sending them back... after a while you'll have enough to pay of the balance in one lump sum.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Collection Agency refusing Payment? [ 4 Answers ]

I live in Ontario Canada. I have 2 outstanding student loans (provincial & Federal)... The loans have been outstanding since 1998... when my ex-husband and I lost our business. We both claimed bankruptcy in late 2000 and I received my discharge in early 2002. Since then due to financial hardship...

Harassing debt collectors [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, Its me again. I don't have any new news regarding my previous post. I have a new question. I have been paying on another old debt from Citibank. I have paid faithfully until last month, when my funds were limited. A collector from Academy services called me on a daily basis with...

Debt collectors [ 2 Answers ]

Is it legal for debt collectors to call aquaintances in order to contact me about a debt? Do they get phone numbers from my phone records

Debt collectors [ 6 Answers ]

Is there a time limit to collecting a debt?

Refusing to take payment [ 1 Answers ]

If you have a bill with someone and you offer to pay them what you can which is like 25 dollars. If they refuse to take it what can you do?

View more questions Search