Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nollie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 28, 2007, 04:54 PM
    Flea treatment for 10 week old puppy
    I have a 10 week old belgian shepherd who is chewing the hair off his backside right above his tail. I washed him in sergeants flea shampoo for puppies but it is only getting worse. Can anyone recommend a flea treatment that is safe for puppies and is there anything topical to stop him from chewing himself up?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 28, 2007, 07:48 PM
    I think the Revolution I use on my dogs says it is OK from 8 weeks on. I don't know if my dogs would have problems with fleas if I wasn't using it, but I know I haven't seen a sign of a flea the last 3 summers when I have used it. Best thing is to talk to your vet about the advantages and disadvantages of different products. There are many good ones. I like the Revolution because it only takes 2 ml to treat the dog. The creams leave a messy streak down my Aster's back.
    teachnk Posts: 275, Reputation: 50

Mar 28, 2007, 08:16 PM
    Are you sure the puppy has fleas? You didn't mention if you had seen them. It could be a skin issue that the flea shampoo irritated, causing it to get worse.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 28, 2007, 08:34 PM
    Although it is possible it is something else, whether you have seen fleas isn't that important. If you do see fleas, usually that means a severe infestation. What you really need to look for is dark reddish specks next to the skin when you pull the hair back at the base of the tail. If you consult the vet as I suggested, the vet will be able to tell if it is fleas, and steer you to the flea remedy that is right for your dog.
    Arsenalroxmyworld Posts: 16, Reputation: 0

Mar 29, 2007, 12:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by nollie
    I have a 10 week old belgian shepherd who is chewing the hair off his backside right above his tail. I washed him in sergeants flea shampoo for puppies but it is only getting worse. Can anyone recommend a flea treatment that is safe for puppies and is there anything topical to stop him from chewing himself up?
    You should ask the vets if he can have 1 of them lampshade things what they have after operations so he can't chew it!
    sheza123 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2007, 01:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by nollie
    I know what is happening to your dog it must be allergic to flea bites our dog is the same when the flea bites your dog it becomes irrtated and the hair will fall of and the dog will scratch more than normal. The main thing to do is get rid of all the flea's and make sure they stay away and go to a vet and they can give your dog cream to stop it from itching

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Fleas Treatment for 2 week old kittens [ 9 Answers ]

My New Cat had her Kittens - 4 cute little ones, :D My question is how can I treat them to prevent fleas. I had a Flea collar on the mother until a few day before her litter was born(she got it off) And I was advise to take it off, to make sure it didn't harm the litter I am not sure, but I...

3 week old puppy [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 3 week old puppy no mother I am bottle feeding. It is have a hard time having a bowel movement. He is on Esbilac, I ran out for a few days and mixed water and carnation canned milk he is now back on esbilac. What can I do?

5 week old puppy---what to drink? [ 2 Answers ]

I have found a litter of puppies, I have taken one in and I took it to the vets this morning, the vet told me that it was about 5 weeks old. I have bought puppy milk replacement, it is like a formula to mix with warm water to feed through a bottle, but he does not take it, but he does not drink it...

My 9 week old Lab puppy [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, Of corse I think I have the cuteset puppy in the world and yes I fawn over him ALL the time he is never left alone inless he has to be he gose to the store with us he basicaLy gose every where with us. But all he really wants to do is bite us or tear something up. At this point I have no...

Flea Treatment For Cat [ 7 Answers ]

Does an indoor cat need to receive topical flea treatment if he spends a lot of time on a fully enclosed screened porch? The porch also has screening underneath the floor. He never goes outside of the porch. Thank you.

View more questions Search