Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    louise1928 Posts: 69, Reputation: 9

Sep 16, 2013, 01:21 PM
    College decisions help!
    Well the story is this:
    Ever since I was about 8 years old iv'e wanted to become a lawyer. So that meant college then university. During my 11 years of education I have moved back and forth from south africa to england many times. I have been in education in the Uk for the past 4 years, due to money problems I currently attend a public school in a small town. When I left school I always intended to apply for a college in Brighton called Bhasvic, thing is applications are due by November and I am becoming worried that studying to become a lawyer one day may be extremely difficult considering the type of education I have had and the length of time it may take to reach this goal.

For the past few years I have worked at a local horse riding school, as I love all things to do with horses. I also love to ride and am quite a good rider. I have watched many friends from my yard attend equine college's and at work they are forever telling me how much they enjoy it. They get to ride all the time and enjoy the coursework even. I am now completely conflicted on which to choose as I am aware there are not many areas of equine to work in.

Another problem with me studying law is that I am dual nationality, I can live in either south africa or anywhere in Britain. If my mum suddenly decided she wants to move back to South Africa I fear I will have no choice but to go with her due to not being able to afford to live by myself yet. That would mean I would have studied British law and not South African law and it is something I do not care to do over.

So my question is this: Which should I choose?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Sep 16, 2013, 01:39 PM
    Countless people go to law school late in their careers. Countless people quit the law to pursue another career at some point in their lives.
    I once worked as a computer game tester, and had about 300 resumes to read from job applicants for an opening. Many of them were lawyers who were sick of the law, and who were willing to work for 1/3 the pay.
    You can be a professional in the equine field and become a lawyer someday, or go to equine college after you make a bundle as a lawyer.

One question I have for you is what the requirements are to be a lawyer in South Africa after getting a law degree in England. Is it really starting from the beginning?

Another is how hard is it to get student loans for law school, and is it 3 years in the UK? I don't see why you have to go with your mother if you are in the middle of that 3 years. And she might chip in. Are you just assuming all this, or has she said 'If I decide to go back to S Africa, no more money from me?'

Also, try this. Take a coin, heads you go to equine college, tails law school. At the instant the coin falls, see if you are glad or disappointed.

Congratulations on planning your future.
    louise1928 Posts: 69, Reputation: 9

Sep 16, 2013, 01:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    Countless people go to law school late in their careers. Countless people quit the law to pursue another career at some point in their lives.
    I once worked as a computer game tester, and had about 300 resumes to read from job applicants for an opening. Many of them were lawyers who were sick of the law, and who were willing to work for 1/3 the pay.
    You can be a professional in the equine field and become a lawyer someday, or go to equine college after you make a bundle as a lawyer.

One question I have for you is what the requirements are to be a lawyer in South Africa after getting a law degree in England. Is it really starting from the beginning?

Another is how hard is it to get student loans for law school, and is it 3 years in the UK? I don't see why you have to go with your mother if you are in the middle of that 3 years. And she might chip in. Are you just assuming all this, or has she said 'If I decide to go back to S Africa, no more money from me?'

Also, try this. Take a coin, heads you go to equine college, tails law school. At the instant the coin falls, see if you are glad or disappointed.

Congratulations on planning your future.
    No money at all anyway if I want money I have to earn not that she has the money anyway, also I'm not sure how much money my student loan would be but education is free in the UK until 2 years after leaving High school. But living arrangements would be difficult for me to find not to mention pay for I'll give the coin toss thing a try thanks for the help.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Sep 16, 2013, 02:38 PM
    Since money is a big factor, sit down with your mother and an admissions person at the college, and do the numbers.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Sep 16, 2013, 04:03 PM
    This really isn't a decision we can make for you. This is something you have to decide.

That's part of being an adult, making decisions about your future. You can't expect strangers to make that choice for you. Write a pro and con list, what are the pros and cons of each choice, then decide. We can't do it for you.

Good luck.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 16, 2013, 04:34 PM
    So what if you study British law and then move to S.Africa? Just build on the base you have. The law shouldn't be that different in S. Africa. Then you will know TWO legal systems -- an even bigger advantage for you. And you can always go back to school for a law degree.

Since you already have the equine background, build on that. Become a horse chiropractor or behaviorist (lots of owners have problems interpreting their horses' signals).

I've been a teacher, a librarian, an author, and a counselor, plus a wife and mom -- all at once and consecutively. You can learn and do all sorts of things at the same time.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a college age student of a diabled parent receive help for college? [ 5 Answers ]

I am a fully disabled parent and wonder if my healthy 19 year old is eligible for financial assitance for college?

Three college kids traveling on a road trip before college and cross into russia [ 1 Answers ]

Three colege kids traveling on a road trip before they return to school cross the russian boarder and end up running from russian boarder patrol. They are wrongly accused of rape and murder of a young girl and are placed in a russian jail

College student w/o w-2 but can I file tax to get college tuition credits back? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am a college student with no job income(no W-2 form) but do have few dollars of interest earned from saving account(1099-INT form). I know I do not have to file tax return since the income is extremely low. But I heard if I file tax return then I can get few hundreds of college tuition...

Decisions, decisions help [ 1 Answers ]

I have been offered a job out of state. Will I be taking that job and moving.

View more questions Search