Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    louise1928 Posts: 69, Reputation: 9

Sep 15, 2013, 02:01 PM
    School detention laws (UK)
    Basically the other day I was late for school and it wasn't my fault so my mum said not too worry she will ring up the school so I don't have to go. So of course I didn't go. Now I got an hour detention, after school for failure to attend although my mum rung up. Can school force me to stay for detention withot parental consent? Especially since I actually don't deserve this detention considering I have never had an hour detention in my life and this is my last year.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Sep 15, 2013, 02:10 PM
    Deserving detention isn't based on the fact you never had detention.
    Your mother should have sent a note with you when you went back.
    Detention for a day off school that was determined by your mother and she called doesn't seem like they should have given you detention.
    What do their actual rules state about days off and late days?
    Really you should not be taking a day off to get out of being late, but I have been there myself. Some times the way they have the rules written up its better to take a day off than consequences of being late. I never could figure that out, but is that the case with what happened with you?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 15, 2013, 02:12 PM
    If the school rules are being applied consistently there is nothing you can do about it. Disciplinary actions in school are not covered by civil law except in terms of corporal punishment.
    louise1928 Posts: 69, Reputation: 9

Sep 16, 2013, 12:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u View Post
    Deserving detention isn't based on the fact you never had detention.
    Your mother should have sent a note with you when you went back.
    Detention for a day off school that was determined by your mother and she called doesn't seem like they should have given you detention.
    What do their actual rules state about days off and late days?
    Really you should not be taking a day off to get out of being late, but I have been there myself. Some times the way they have the rules written up its better to take a day off than consequences of being late. I never could figure that out, but is that the case with what happened with you?
    Im not taking the day off I never did.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 16, 2013, 03:14 AM
    So of course I didn't go.
    The fact is you didn't attend school that day. My guess is the school did not accept your mum's reasons for holding you out of school and that's why they gave you detention.

You are asking if the law allows the school to do this and the answer is yes. So accept your punishment and move on.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Parental Consent for Saturday Detention [ 5 Answers ]

Where do parents stand when their child has been given a Saturday Detention that they do not consent to? Is this an argument worth pursuing. My child has been given a Saturday detention because she was involved in an incident last week, which resulted in another girls hair being cut. There...

Bad girls in detention home. [ 5 Answers ]

This movie was most likely in th 80s. Don't remember too much. I know it was all girls. Some ganged up on others. There was a lot of punk rockerish clothing. I think at the end, someone sets the premesis on fire and a girl is walking away... then the credits come.

Probation detention [ 2 Answers ]

We have herd that there is a new 3 for 1 rule coming out for probation detention detainies in Georgia. 3 days credit for 1 good behaiver served. Is this true?

Probation Detention Center [ 8 Answers ]

What is the average amount of time a female can serve in a Georgia probation detention center? Thank you so much for you help. dreams1

View more questions Search