Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AlanPAC Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2013, 10:20 AM
    Radiant baseboard heating
    I need help regarding my 50 yo house I just bought. L replaced a mechanical thermostat upstairs with a digital one. Having trouble with both zones working independently. Wiring is messed up somewhere. Am including a diagram of the wiring I see.
    What purpose does the 3 wires interconnectinv the two White Rogers F19-0097 zone valves serve?
    Attached Images

dewey066 Posts: 49, Reputation: 1

Sep 15, 2013, 08:35 AM
    Zone valves take 24V to operate. One wire on each of the ZV's will be connected together to a common, and then the thermostat "breaks" the power to the other wire (the tstat connects R to W). The "R" from the transformer should connected to one side of a 2-wire cable, run up to the thermostat, connect to the R + W at the thermostat, then come back down and connect to the other wire on Zone Valve motor).

The second pair of wires is the "End Switch" which is an opened/closed switch which is a dry-connection (not usually powered) that connects the terminals of the circulator relay. These wires could be powered depending on what type of circulator relay you have, but usually are not powered.

So simply connect two of the motor wires together to the common of the transformer, each of the other motor wires have to be "made/broken" by the thermostat, so that when there is a call for heat you have 24V at the motor leads, No Voltage when not calling for heat.

The other wires could be connected in a number of ways but it is for the end switch to turn on the circulator, depending on what type of relay it is. A simple way to see if you need a powered connection or not is to connect (with a jumper wire) the T-T terminals on the relay, and if it pulls in and turns on the circulator then you can connect one wire from each zone valve's end switch to one wire, and then the other two together and run them to the T-T on the circulator relay. If it does not pull-in then you need 24V: Connect a common to one T-T terminal and connect R to one wire of each zone valve and the other wires from the zone valve to the other T-T terminal.

Here is a wiring diagram:
    http://www.emersonclimate.com/en-us/.../0037-5421.pdf

Sep 15, 2013, 09:44 AM
    Hate to sound ignorant, but I have several questions regarding your post.
    First, I have 3 wires running to the thermostats. Do I only need 2? Also, I am not sure if the third wire should connect to the Y or G terminal of the thermostats.
    Second, I don't understand where the T terminals are you refer to.
    Third,if possible could you just tell me what number terminal of the zone valves connect to which letter terminal of the thermostats?
    Then, are the transformer terminals connected correctly to the zone valves?
    Finally, why is there the 3 wire jumper from zone valve to zone valve, and are they connected to the correct numbers on each zone valve?
    I have seen the diagram you so kindly added, and I am not sure how to correctly interpret it to my system.

Sep 15, 2013, 09:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dewey066 View Post
    Zone valves take 24V to operate. One wire on each of the ZV's will be connected together to a common, and then the thermostat "breaks" the power to the other wire (the tstat connects R to W). The "R" from the transformer should connected to one side of a 2-wire cable, run up to the thermostat, connect to the R + W at the thermostat, then come back down and connect to the other wire on Zone Valve motor).

The second pair of wires is the "End Switch" which is an opened/closed switch which is a dry-connection (not usually powered) that connects the terminals of the circulator relay. These wires could be powered depending on what type of circulator relay you have, but usually are not powered.

So simply connect two of the motor wires together to the common of the transformer, each of the other motor wires have to be "made/broken" by the thermostat, so that when there is a call for heat you have 24V at the motor leads, No Voltage when not calling for heat.

The other wires could be connected in a number of ways but it is for the end switch to turn on the circulator, depending on what type of relay it is. A simple way to see if you need a powered connection or not is to connect (with a jumper wire) the T-T terminals on the relay, and if it pulls in and turns on the circulator then you can connect one wire from each zone valve's end switch to one wire, and then the other two together and run them to the T-T on the circulator relay. If it does not pull-in then you need 24V: Connect a common to one T-T terminal and connect R to one wire of each zone valve and the other wires from the zone valve to the other T-T terminal.

Here is a wiring diagram:
    http://www.emersonclimate.com/en-us/.../0037-5421.pdf
    Hate to sound ignorant, but I have several questions regarding your post.
    First, I have 3 wires running to the thermostats. Do I only need 2? Also, I am not sure if the third wire should connect to the Y or G terminal of the thermostats.
    Second, I don't understand where the T terminals are you refer to.
    Third,if possible could you just tell me what number terminal of the zone valves connect to which letter terminal of the thermostats?
    Then, are the transformer terminals connected correctly to the zone valves?
    Finally, why is there the 3 wire jumper from zone valve to zone valve, and are they connected to the correct numbers on each zone valve?
    I have seen the diagram you so kindly added, and I am not sure how to correctly interpret it to my system.

Sep 15, 2013, 05:08 PM
    I have a couple of quick questions so I can better understand your system. This is a hot-water boiler with zone valves, correct?

Are the thermostats controlling Air conditioning as well? What kind of thermostats are they? Is there a master thermostat (with more than three wires)? Is there a selector switch somewhere (it's a dial that has heat, cool, fan, off, and a switch for the fan)?

I'm looking at your wiring diagram again right now...

Sep 15, 2013, 05:36 PM
    OK - I just looked a little more closely at your diagram. What type of system is this connected to? Is it a combination Hot and Chilled water system?

Here is the diagram for that exact valve from the manufacturer:

http://www.emersonclimate.com/Docume...%221311-102%22

What is the model number of the thermostats? Is this a new install or are you just replacing a zone valve that failed?

Sep 15, 2013, 05:50 PM
    In the first diagram I sent you the thermostat terminal designations are 4,5,and 6. On yours the 4 would be the W, 5 would be the R, and Y would be 6.

If you have an external 24V transformer follow figure 6 for the connection between Valve and Thermostat.

What kind of circulator relay do you have? This wiring should already be in place if you are just replacing one zone valve.

Sep 20, 2013, 11:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dewey066 View Post
    In the first diagram I sent you the thermostat terminal designations are 4,5,and 6. On yours the 4 would be the W, 5 would be the R, and Y would be 6.

If you have an external 24V transformer follow figure 6 for the connection between Valve and Thermostat.

What kind of circulator relay do you have? This wiring should already be in place if you are just replacing one zone valve.
    I have a two zone (upstairs, downstairs) radiant baseboard water heater system. The boiler is a Hydrotherm HC-145B natural gas boiler. Two zone valves are White-Rodgers F19-0097 valves. 24 volt transformer. Upstairs tstat is Honeywell RTH2303. Downstairs tstat is Honeywell TH5110D.
    The wires between tstats are 3 wire wires. Having looked at the system, do I only need two of the wires? My call for heat also turns on the circulating pump, which shuts off when the burner does. Thanks for your help.

Sep 20, 2013, 11:36 AM
    Also, the problem I am having is that I can't seem to control the two zones separately. Even turning the upstairs tstat low, if the downstairs tstat is on the upstairs is heating too.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Radiant Heating Manifold [ 8 Answers ]

Hello, I'm looking for radiant manifold as those on the pictures. Does anyone know where I can get it? I need to replace it.

Boiler : radiant baseboard pipes not warm [ 3 Answers ]

Happy New Year all! Last night we were using our fireplace and the thermostat is in the same room so when we went into another room to watch the ball drop we noticed the temp in the room was cold but figured it was because the heat had not run in a few hours. I awoke this morning and check the...

Radiant floor heating book? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm trying to plan a radiant floor heating system for my house (built in 1912). I am basically redoing the entire house top to bottom so I figure I might as well change from radiators to radiant heating. I understand the concepts and have read everything I can find on it. I'm looking for a good...

Radiant heating subpanel [ 1 Answers ]

Does a subpanel that is used for 208v radiant heat only need a neutral? The subpanel that is being used at this time only has 2 hots and a ground.

Radiant Floor Heating [ 2 Answers ]

I purchased a ranch house with natural gas radiant floor heating. It takes about 4 hours to reach my set temperature. Then it overshoots the temperature. Once it gets back down to the set temperature, the concrete (with embedded copper pipes) is cold again, which means another 4 hours to get...

View more questions Search