Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mariahk63 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2007, 06:29 PM
    No air flow from registers
    I have no airflow from my registers. My compressor is running and my AHU is running. Any idea what the problem could be? I have shut the unit off for now. The problem exists on heat and cool and fan only mode.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Mar 26, 2007, 07:05 PM
    Sounds like it could be the blower motor is not working. It could be a relay but since it is doing it in heat and cool and fan only mode I would suggest more than likely the motor. Did you have a burning smell at all when you tried to operate the unit?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 26, 2007, 07:27 PM
    Open up the air handler and watch the blower when you hold in the door switch. If nothing happens, then it maybe the relay. Since most blowers are direct drive now, if the motor runs, the blower should unless it is loose on the shaft. If the blower runs and you don't get air out the vents, you must have a major duct problem.
    mariahk63 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2007, 07:45 PM
    Thanks... I think the unit was froze up. When I went back outside to check the compressor the ground is wet just under it... also the pipe inside was dripping. Not sure why I had no airflow before since the motor was running inside and out. I do have cool air right now. I will have to figure out WHY the unit froze up... but for tonight we are cooling.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 26, 2007, 08:12 PM
    If the inside coil frosted up, it could block the air flow.
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Mar 27, 2007, 01:19 AM
    A/C's freeze up due to low air flow (filter?) or low on refrigerant.
    rammerjammer Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2007, 07:33 AM
    If the blower was working I can only think of two things to cause the unit to freeze up if you have kept your filters changed. 1. Low On Refrigerant 2. Stuck Contactor. If the outside unit still runs when you turn the thermostat off it is the contactor. Should it feeze up again I would check freon level.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cold Air Registers Blowing Cold Air [ 3 Answers ]

Our cold air registers are blowing cold air worse than if the windows were open. The hot air registers blow cold air but not as forceful (maybe because they are 1/3 the size of the returns) This only happens when the furnace is off and we are heating with the wood stoves. We have metal ducting...

Furnace motor runs but no air coming from registers [ 11 Answers ]

Have a Goodman GUPS 100-3 Furnace. I can hear the motor turn on when the temp goes below where the thermostat is set - but no air is being blown through the vents. (I have a forced air systerm.) The vents are OK since my air conditioning unit goes through the same vents. The pilot light stays on...

Air registers [ 2 Answers ]

I have a problem with condensation on only one of my air registers. This register is in the ceiling and it is in a nonused bathroom with no windows. It has just started this about 2 weeks ago (it is 4 1/2 years old). I was wondering why this has happened and how to stop it? Thank you, Lisa

No air from several registers [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, My house was built in 1990. I have no air coming from the registers in the upstairs bedrooms. My ducting is in the attic. I have examined it several times for air leaks and haven't been able to find any. Is it possible that the wrong size ducts were used for the upstairs, significantly...

View more questions Search